Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool 1CWTW4840YW1 Charcoal-like streaks on clothes  (Read 955 times)

Offline Jesspa

• VIP Member
Whirlpool 1CWTW4840YW1 Charcoal-like streaks on clothes
« on: August 04, 2015, 02:30:10 PM »

My fairly new top loader just started leaving black smudges on clothes. I found small chunks of what seems like charcoal in the tub that smear but do not feel oily and are easy to wash off my hands. The black stuff washes off cloth with a toothbrush and soap and some effort. I took off the agitator and found black stuff all inside of it, it feels powdery. I washed it all off to reassemble the agitator but still cannot figure out the cause. I was told the gearcase may have failed but am not certain this is the answer since the spots I am seeing do not seem like oil to me. The washer is out of warranty and the gearcase replacement is expensive so I don't want to order it unless I am sure!

I attached a photo of the smudges and the black stuff in the agitator.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Thanks

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Whirlpool 1CWTW4840YW1 Charcoal-like streaks on clothes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 02:49:48 PM »
too much soap.
Cut your soap back to 2tbs for a FULL load.