Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Condenser Intermittently Stops Working  (Read 3015 times)

Offline MiK3Y

• VIP Member
Condenser Intermittently Stops Working
« on: September 14, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »

Hello everyone, new to the forum here and am looking for some assistance.  Excuse my lack of HVAC terminology as im not too familiar with it, but I am a handy and technical person.  Every once in awhile the condenser will stop cooling the air.  The fan in the house is blowing air as there is air coming out of the vents.  The fan on top of the condenser unit turns on as well.  I believe that it is the compressor that is not turning on in the condenser?  Based on what i've been reading, it sounds like the contactor might be going bad?  I see there are two contacts on the contactor.  Is one contact for the fan on top and the other for the compressor?  Thank in advance for any assistance.

Offline MiK3Y

• VIP Member
Re: Condenser Intermittently Stops Working
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 09:23:04 AM »
Probably not necessary but i forgot to add that the condenser will eventually start working again.  Sometimes after i turn the a/c off and on one time.  The fuses are good as well.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 05:22:23 PM »
Could be a ton of issues. Could be losing your low voltage, could be a contactor issue, the compressor could be going out on overload, could be a dirty condensor causing the compressor to go out on overload, Could be a bad cap. Best bet is to call a pro in to have a look. You could spend just as much swapping parts as it would be to call a pro in to fix it.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 01:04:02 AM »
It could be an intermittent contactor, check for voltage across the contacts while calling for cooling. If you get voltage, and you have low voltage to the coil, the contactor is bad.   

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »
Does the out door fan stay on all the time?

Offline MiK3Y

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 06:25:21 PM »
Could be a ton of issues. Could be losing your low voltage, could be a contactor issue, the compressor could be going out on overload, could be a dirty condensor causing the compressor to go out on overload, Could be a bad cap. Best bet is to call a pro in to have a look. You could spend just as much swapping parts as it would be to call a pro in to fix it.

Okay, sounds like a good idea.  I put a call in to one today.  Thanks for the reply and advice.

Offline MiK3Y

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 06:25:57 PM »
Does the out door fan stay on all the time?

No, it does not.  The fan in the condenser only turns on when the a/c kicks on.