Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Legacy Washer fills, but will not agitate  (Read 2689 times)

Offline jfw0928

• VIP Member
Maytag Legacy Washer fills, but will not agitate
« on: July 10, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »

Model MAV208DAWW

Washer fills fine. Then I hear a humming noise for for a second or two before the circuit breaker blows. I replaced the motor and have same issue. It drains and spins fine when I manually turn timer to spin.

Thank you.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
Re: Maytag Legacy Washer fills, but will not agitate
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:43:30 PM »
Remove the belt to see if Motor Shaft will agitate (move both directions) during Wash Cycle (if not then could be the Timer or loose/burnt wire connection between Timer & Drive Motor).

To help troubleshoot your issue, you can download the Service Repair Manual at link below (must login before downloading)
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=42

If you order Timer (or any part's) from site below and it doesn't resolve your issue then you can return it for a full refund minus S&H
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-timer-21002232-ap4024781.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:44:04 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 03:03:24 PM »
Remove the belt to see if Motor Shaft will agitate (move both directions) during Wash Cycle

The motor shaft never "agitates". In agitation cycle, the motor shaft rotates continuously in one direction and in spin cycle, it rotates continuously in the opposite direction. Back and forth motion of the agitator is caused by gearing in the transmission.

Eric

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »
Remove the belt to see if Motor Shaft will agitate (move both directions) during Wash Cycle

The motor shaft never "agitates". In agitation cycle, the motor shaft rotates continuously in one direction and in spin cycle, it rotates continuously in the opposite direction. Back and forth motion of the agitator is caused by gearing in the transmission.

Eric
Eric is correct, sorry for the mistake.

Offline jfw0928

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:50:04 PM »
Thank you RockinRobin and Eric for your replies.

I removed the belt and the motor shaft spins freely in both directions. I can turn the transmission pulley freely in the CCW direction but, it requires significant effort to turn it in the CW direction. With the belt removed, the motor spins freely in a CW direction during the agitation cycle. If I attach the belt, the humming noise occurs.

Perhaps a bad transmission?

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:42:17 AM »
Thank you RockinRobin and Eric for your replies.

I removed the belt and the motor shaft spins freely in both directions. I can turn the transmission pulley freely in the CCW direction but, it requires significant effort to turn it in the CW direction. With the belt removed, the motor spins freely in a CW direction during the agitation cycle. If I attach the belt, the humming noise occurs.

Perhaps a bad transmission?
CW is for Agitation and CCW is for Spin.
I would check the Teeth on White Plastic Piece located above Large Pulley that mounts on Transmission to see if Teeth are stripped.
If stripped order the Thrust Bearing Kit (p/n 12002213)
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-thrust-bearing-kit-12002213-ap4009132.html

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »
One more thing be sure the Pump Pulley (located in rear corner) turns freely in both directions and be sure it doesn't make a dragging/grinding noise while rotating.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:46:45 AM by rockinrobin »

Offline jfw0928

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 03:26:44 PM »
Thanks again for your help RockinRobin.

I finally got around to revisiting this machine. The thrust bearing and pump were okay. For future reference of anyone who may view this thread -  I determined that the transmission was bad. From what I am reading, it should be rather easy to turn the large pulley in either direction. It was quite a struggle to get it to budge just a little in the CW direction.