Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag A608 washing machine won't spin.  (Read 2238 times)

Offline 78Oldsdelta88

• VIP Member
Maytag A608 washing machine won't spin.
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:44:46 PM »

Hi.

This is my first post to the forum.

I have a Maytag A608 that won't spin. It agitates just fine. It runs perfectly until the spin cycle. It starts to spin but then stops after about 3 seconds. The heat protection switch kicks in. The motor gets very hot to the touch.
Everything on the machine is original including the belts. It was purchased for a lake cotage new in 1975 and only had 3 or 4 loads ran in it a year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I aquired this machine from the original owner 3 years ago. Love it and have no plans on replacing it no mater the cost (within reason)

Thanks
Brady

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Maytag A608 washing machine won't spin.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 05:55:28 PM »
Take a flashlight and look through the holes in the tub and see if there is a sock or something stuck between the tubs.

Offline Vintageapplover

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 02:07:17 AM »
Bailey is on target. Sometimes a piece of clothing goes up and over the inner tub lip during the spin cycle and works its way between the inner and outer tubs, jamming the whole works up. It's usually from overloading the tub with too many clothes. Be sure not to do that. Sometimes the article of clothing can be fished out by modifying a metal clothes hanger if it's jammed near the top, but usually the top tub cover has to come off by removing the metal band clamp. Be sure to hit the band clamp screws with penetrating oil before removing them. They like to seize up with rust after several decades, especially if the washer is located in a damp area.

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:03:03 PM »
If there wasn't something between the tubs, and your tub bearing isn't locked up, are your belts covered in transmission oil? If so, that's your problem. Are you using OEM belts? This machine has no clutch. Motor isn't capable of instantly spinning the tub. It is designed to slip the belt. Non OEM or oily belts will not slip, which overloads motor

Offline Doctor All-Star

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 11:35:13 AM »
I've done 3 this month just like yours; same model#. 2 of them needed new spin bearing & tub seal kits (it would be foolish not to replace both at the same time), and the other 1 needed a new brake assembly. Failed brake assemblies are not very common in those washers. And yes, sometimes when folks overload, a garment of some type (usually a sock) can get stuck between the 2 tubs...but usually the symptom you are describing is a bad spin bearing. Make sure to check your capacitor for failure. Sometimes I'll find them blown as well, as a result of the customer trying the washer in spin over & over...hoping it will fix itself & start spinning again. Hope this helps ya bud.
They don't make em like they used to....People either!

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 02:49:11 PM »

The A608 doesn't have a start capacitor. Check your drain pump.

Eric