Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Kenmore Washer Model 970-C40042-00 Won't Spin or Agitate  (Read 967 times)

Offline davidjbillo

• VIP Member
Kenmore Washer Model 970-C40042-00 Won't Spin or Agitate
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:12:11 PM »

As per subject, washer won't spin or agitate. Fills and drains fine, door lock operated, lock light comes on.

I retrieved the Tech Sheet from inside and went through the Motor Movement (motor will not run) checks, but some of the details there seem a bit sketchy to me, such as whether or not it should be plugged in, whether or not the timer knob should be pulled out...but here is what I've done:

1. Check for power...as mentioned the drain pump runs (also the fill valves actuate) so there is power from the house circuit.

2. Check for Motor Movement...removed belt, connected power, set timer to start of Regular Wash Cycle, pull the knob out...motor does not run. I'm supposed to check for poor connection in timer line switch or door lock switch, but how? I could reach the door switch plug and make sure they are fully connected, but what else can I do? Is this actually checked by Step 3?

3. Measure Voltages...remove the six pin plug from speed control unit, measure voltage between pins 5 and 6 on harness. I got 120VAC here, so on to...

4. Set timer to Heavy Wash position (doesn't say if knob should be pulled out or not)...remove the ten pin plug from speed control unit, measure voltages between pins 1, 2, 6, and 10 of the ten pin plug, and pin 5 of the six pin plug. Pins 2, 6, and 10 should be 120VAC, and they were. Pin 1 should be 0VAC, but I got 45VAC. (ended up doing this with washer plugged in and knob pulled out, otherwise got odd sub volt readings)

So then I'm supposed to check the contacts on the timer, 1C to 1B, 5C to 5B, 7C to 7B for closed contacts, and 3C to 3B for open contacts. I'm not sure how to do this, but end up pulling the white plug off the timer, and identify the contacts according to wire colour...all the C contacts are the yellow/black wire, 1B is blue, 5B is white/red, 7B is brown, 3B is pink/black, so I check resistance across the contact spades on the timer, and everything is correct...1B, 5B, and 7B are closed, 3B is open. (this is done without washer plugged in, not that it would make any difference with the harness pulled off)

If the voltage readings are correct, I'm supposed to go to step 5, but they're not correct...pin 1 is giving me 45VAC instead of 0, but I go to...

5. Measure Resistances...check the fuse on the speed control board...I test with fuse installed and it reads as closed, i.e. no resistance, (0.6 ohms same as touching meter probes together) I don't have a fuse puller and worried about breaking the ceramic fuse.

6. Remove six pin plug from speed control unit...wait...it's already removed from step 3...why is it connected again? Is this done with washer plugged in or not? Where should the timer knob be placed? Should the knob be pulled out? Measure the resistances between pins 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 3 and 1 of the speed control unit. I don't get any readings at all, but I'm not sure if the meter probes are contacting anything, even though they are shoved in the holes as far as possible.

So what have I learned from all this? Step 4 is returning an incorrect voltage at pin 1, but what does that mean?
Have I done one of those tests incorrectly? My head is spinning and I'm getting agitated...to bad that doesn't apply to the washer.

Kenmore Washer will not drain or spin, agitates on the agitate lo cylce only

Started by mattz

Replies: 5
Views: 12966
Last post March 11, 2008, 09:21:43 AM
by mattz
whirlpool washer model LSR9434PQ0 won't agitate or spin

Started by jhuffman

Replies: 4
Views: 6002
Last post May 28, 2012, 06:16:50 PM
by JWWebster