Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Wanting to get in the trade  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Aaronwilliams

• VIP Member
Wanting to get in the trade
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:18:38 AM »

Hello, I am wanting to start appliance repair. I have a Hvac license and I love working on things. I have done carpentry and plumbing.  The problem is no one will let me work with them because I have no experience.  Any ideas? Thanks

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Wanting to get in the trade
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 07:09:05 AM »
talk to the guys at the supply house counter. They hear from a lot of techs and they might be able to point you in the direction of a company/person willing to take you on.
I was in the same situation, what I did to get my foot in the door was to offer a ride along for a few days so the owner and other techs could get a feel for my abilities. After a few days I was offered the position. I'm now hold the highest completion rate in the company on first calls.
Good luck and welcome

Offline Aaronwilliams

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 02:18:56 AM »
There are only two repair places in my town. Would you suggest trying to do my own work on the side?

Offline rbmappltech

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »
You can work for A&E Factory Service to get some hard fought experience on fixing appliances. 

Offline Aaronwilliams

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:11:26 PM »
What's A&E?

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »

Offline Maintech

• Technician
  • LNM Service and Repair LLC.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 05:56:49 PM »
You can work for A&E Factory Service to get some hard fought experience on fixing appliances.
True , if you can sell maintenance agreements and extras they no care about tech skills. The only thing I really miss about A&E/Sears is the technical documentation available on the laptop we carried.  That was one thing they did pretty good was having manuals and tech sheets available for 90% of the stuff I saw in the wild right there on the computer and  easy to find.  There did seem to be lag of 2-4 months for the new documents to make it to the boxes. Would love to have one of those harddrives to reverse engineer just for the tech resources.

Offline Aaronwilliams

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 07:22:50 PM »
There is an older guy in his 70s that said I can come help him. Would that be a good start? He fixes used fridges, washers and dryers

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 07:44:24 PM »
There is an older guy in his 70s that said I can come help him. Would that be a good start? He fixes used fridges, washers and dryers
all depends on if he does the fixes just to flip them and the work is subpar or on the level.
Work a few days and if your "radar" goes off that something isn't quite right then walk.