Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: 4 year old Insinkerator garbage disposal is not acting right....  (Read 1959 times)

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member

Again I thank you all in advance.  I am a very fresh newbie compared to you.

We have a 4 year old Insinkerator 3/4 HP.  It was actually bought to replace the previous one that our contractor threw out with the old kitchen sink.  We haven't had problems till this week, and I am expecting a whole bunch of company this weekend, so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

The garbage disposal has suddenly started to act up.  It makes a low hum, but doesn't grind up anything.  The NJ Dad reset the button on the bottom and got it back to working a couple of times last week (we don't use it every day).  Today, he was down there again, using a hex wrench and telling me that there was nothing blocking the mechanism (I checked from above, there were only a few veggies down there).  He got it started, and we tossed some ice in ( we had a problem with it getting stuck a couple of years ago, a serviceman came out, threw about 5 cubes of ice down there, got it started.  He was kind enough to not charge us for the visit). 

Once again he flipped the switch, we waited 30 seconds and started again, but again it stalled and gave a low hum.  He went down there again with the hex wrench, turned it several times, and got it started.  At this point, I didn't want to take a chance, so I dropped my old peas and corn down the garbage disposal.  It crushed everything and was running fine, I turned it off.  Ten when I went to turn it back on, it once again wasn't working, this time not even the low hum.  What gives?  How is it that my mom's Insinkerator ran for 40 years, and my old one ran for 11, without any problems?  Or could it be the switch ( but the other switch and the dishwasher work fine). 

Just a note, we don't throw any meat or bones down there, even though it is 3/4 HP and rated to crush bones. I also try to avoid dropping onions or stringy veggies down there, so that shouldn't be the issue. 

I really hope we didn't waste $175 plus tax on a unit that works only 4 years.  Especially since we and Mom have had such great success with this brand in the past.

Thank you all, and God bless.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: 4 year old Insinkerator garbage disposal is not acting right....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 04:08:28 PM »
It sounds like a bad start switch. Depending on your model, it could be under warranty. You can check your warranty here.

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
ok, we will take a look.

We just noticed that with the low hum ( which has returned), the nut/blade on the inside of the disposal does not move at all. Can we fix this ourselves?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 09:21:49 PM »
A start switch is fairly easy to repair. You will have to remove it from the sink, remove the long screws and pop off the bottom cover. If it shows signs of leaking inside the disposal, don't attempt to fix it, replace it instead.

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »
There is no start switch - it is hard-wired.

:(