Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Kenmore dryer runs, turns off, then starts again when it reaches the next cycle  (Read 4102 times)

Offline cessprin

• VIP Member

I have a Kenmore 70 series dryer (don't have the serial number handy).  If I set the timer for a certain time, it will turn off after that time.  The timer continues clicking through the Off (gray) section of the dial while the dryer is off.  Then the dryer turns on again on the next dry cycle, turns off when it hits Off, etc.  I was hoping it's as simple as a bad timer.  Since that's electrical and likely not refundable, I didn't want to replace it if someone could tell me, fairly certainly, that it was something else.  Appreciate any help.

Chris

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Sounds like a bad timer for sure and the part can be return if you buy it fromAppliancePartsPros.com at the top of this page even after you install it.Whats the model number?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:16:59 PM by dab147315 »

Offline fairbank56

• Technician

Sounds to me like your push to start switch is stuck closed but really need your model number so I can look at the proper wiring diagram.

Eric

Offline cessprin

• VIP Member
Eric and dab147315, thanks for the responses.  The dryer model # is 110.76742501.  Someone from another site sent an e-mail stating that "once the motor stops it shouldn't start back unless the start switch or the switch in the motor is stuck".  That makes sense, so I'm wondering if it could be the timer and something else.  I guess I could start with the timer and see if that fixes it.

I also found another "symptom".  It the dryer is off and unplugged and I set it to a time and plug it back in, it starts without pushing the start button.  It does still cut off when it reaches the Off position, but turns back on when it reaches the next dry cycle.  It also does turn off when the door is opened.  I've just been unplugging it to keep the light from burning out.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
  It's most probably that the start switch is stuck closed. This will cause the timer motor to run continuously and cause the drive motor to start every time the timer goes back out of the OFF position. A faulty motor switch cannot cause this problem nor can a faulty timer cause the motor to start. Check your start switch.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-switch-push-start-3395385-ap3097490.html

Eric
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:15:56 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
If it was the start switch as soon as you turn turn the timer to a operating mode the dryer would start up without pushing start switch.Is this happening?

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
  He already verified that.  "It the dryer is off and unplugged and I set it to a time and plug it back in, it starts without pushing the start button." But that was already obvious since the dryer shut off when the timer went to OFF and then came back on again when it continued advancing passed OFF and into another cycle.

Eric
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:07:58 AM by fairbank56 »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
My eyes or brain did not see that post.Needed more coffee.lol

Offline cessprin

• VIP Member
Eric
Thanks for the reply about the start switch and the link to purchase it at appliancepartspro.  I think I'll start with that ($18 versus a timer for $105).  The more I think about it, if the timer "freely" turns through all cycles (and through the Off positions), it would seem like the timer is not the problem.  When I replaced a timer on my old dryer years ago, I seemed to remember the old timer just not turning once it was set, which is not the case now.  I could try to put a meter on it, but not being an electrical wiz, I don't know if I'd be checking it correctly.  I know there are troubleshooting videos on the internet.  Are there any videos, for the novice, that you've seen and maybe recommend?  Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Offline fairbank56

• Technician

A faulty start switch is really the only thing that can cause this problem. Just unplug the switch and see what happens.

Eric

Kenmore Dryer Starts and runs for 1.5 minute then shuts off completely

Started by Jaytag

Replies: 4
Views: 6835
Last post August 11, 2009, 09:19:01 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore Electric Dryer - Quits in mid-cycle

Started by GaryGG

Replies: 5
Views: 8682
Last post February 15, 2008, 04:07:19 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore Dryer Stops During a Cycle

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 8190
Last post November 15, 2008, 08:27:31 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Kenmore Dryer starts but does not continue running

Started by Phantom

Replies: 7
Views: 7189
Last post April 04, 2009, 05:53:26 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore dryer wont start/quits mid cycle

Started by Jwhite4095

Replies: 3
Views: 5971
Last post May 14, 2009, 07:43:00 AM
by Jwhite4095
Kenmore Series 70 Dryer - runs too long!

Started by tjn110

Replies: 4
Views: 5107
Last post September 19, 2010, 01:22:37 AM
by mattlwil