Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Whirlpool gas dryer timer motor heat  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Whirlpool gas dryer timer motor heat
« on: June 07, 2015, 07:12:08 PM »

I have a Whirlpool gas dryer model LRG8648LW0 that was returned to me by a customer after about 6 months of use. They say that it does not heat properly all the time. I have checked it using a propane bottle supply for a very short time and it works properly for me. One comment the customer mentioned was that  the timer seemed to get warm. I have never noted it before but the small pancake motor on the back of the timer does get warm to the touch. Does anyone have any idea how warm these timer motors are supposed to get during normal operation ? I have a couple of old  dryer timers and noted that the pancake motor is approx the same size and configuration on almost all of these and they are all 110 volt . Internally the motor in question has a white disc  under the edge of the cover and another one has a copper colored disc. The real question is ---any idea as to temp during operation.?  The one in the subject dryer is fairly warm to the touch ?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool gas dryer timer motor heat
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
I have seen one bad gas dryer timer, the main ring that pushes the leaf switch to start and stop the dryer came completely off. Crappy design for being so much money. Those control themostats on these newer dryers are crappy also. That is cheaper than a timer I would try a new control stat, you can get a 4 wire GE stat fer cheap.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

How to replace Whirlpool Dryer Motor.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 10868
Last post January 15, 2009, 08:13:09 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Replies: 5
Views: 7065
Last post May 30, 2015, 09:07:45 AM
by fairbank56
Whirlpool Dryer TEDS68BQ2 does not heat

Started by pilzprson

Replies: 4
Views: 6847
Last post April 04, 2008, 10:00:57 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Whirlpool Duet Dryer No Heat . Ive tested Everything HELP!

Started by Camperman

Replies: 25
Views: 32139
Last post December 21, 2010, 06:28:31 AM
by Camperman
279827 Whirlpool Dryer Drive Motor

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6606
Last post March 12, 2009, 06:00:30 PM
by AJ
GE Hotpoint dryer won't heat unless i use the minutes timer on the dial