Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Where do I post a question about a → Garbage Disposal ←?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline stanstr

• VIP Member

On the Home Page here I see Chit Chat, topics for Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher, Refrigerator repair, and others, but I have a question about replacing a Garbage Disposal. Where should I post this? Hopefully, if there is a better place a moderator can move it there.

My in-laws had a leak under their kitchen sink, and when I looked there was a small hole in the disposal. I came back the next day with some #120 emery paper and some JB Weld (2 part epoxy (with Steel!)). Now, looking at it with a flashlight, I see that there is a sort of bumpy ring around the perimeter of the disposal where the hole is, that has to be rust. I sanded the area around the hole and epoxied the hole and around it. The hole was very small - maybe 1/16 inch across at the widest.

I think my patch will be ok for a while, but as the unit is rusting out it's time for a replacement. My question is: Typically, are the drain connections on disposals in the same place relative to where they mount to the sink? In other words, if I buy another brand of disposal will the drain fit (close to) where the original was? It looks relatively easy to replace the unit, but I don't want to have to do any more plumbing than I have to.

Also, this has a bayonet (I think it's called) mount. Put a screwdriver in the round slot, and turn it to release the unit from the sink. Are these also universal, the same for (most?) other manufacturers?

The disposal is a Kenmore Model 175.60101.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: Where do I post a question about a → Garbage Disposal ←?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 05:34:15 AM »
First question, yes most are close. You can buy kits extensions cheap. Most are turned from under the sink to release. I seem to always half to force them with a large screwdriver.

85-69 1/2 hp 120V single phase Insinkerator Garbage Disposal

Started by kj2572

Replies: 2
Views: 3989
Last post June 18, 2009, 10:37:11 AM
by kj2572
Sears Kenmore Garbage disposal won't work

Started by pcgondreau

Replies: 3
Views: 10051
Last post November 12, 2009, 07:31:01 AM
by jumptrout51