Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: compressor getting hot and shutting off  (Read 3249 times)

Offline wrench191

• VIP Member
compressor getting hot and shutting off
« on: May 07, 2015, 04:12:15 PM »

I have a Frigidaire side by side refrigirator.
Model no. FRS23LH5DSP. The compressor has been shuting off and not restarting unless I unplug for at least an hour. When it restarts it  takes right off. I have bought a hard start kit but I dont think that will help. When it wont start it is not drawing current. I checked the schematic. The defrost module shuts off the compressor when in defrost. It also shuts off the condensor fan on same circut.
 When my compressor is off the condensor fan is still running.
 That takes the defrost module out of the picture. I have found that if I set a fan in back of refrigerator the compressor doesnt shut off.
It must be overheating. I checked the ohms on compressor and it
was within limits. What I need to know is the thermal protection of the compressor in the sealed unit or is it part of the start circut. The sealed unit says thermal protected on it.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: compressor getting hot and shutting off
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:17:10 PM »
did you put the hard start kit on it?
What was the ohm readings? should be 3-6-12
Did you check to see if any of the windings are grounded to the case of the compressor?

From what you are describing it's going out on over load. Could be a bad compressor, could be bad start device. Could be a compressor grounding out when heating up.

Offline wrench191

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »
I haven't put the start kit on yet. ohms 10-6-4 I would really appreciate on answer to my question.
Is the thermal protection of the compressor in the sealed unit or is it part of the start circuit.

Read more: http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=16790.0#ixzz3ZURNmYAK

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
 It is built in the the start device.Which has the relay and overload built into it.This is the overload and start device for your model.It will look different than yours more than likely as they change the design. 5304491941

Offline wrench191

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 04:51:14 PM »
I know that it is a bad compressor or faulty thermal protection. How long does the overload device need to reset?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 05:10:46 PM »
You would first need to know if that the overload is actually shutting the compressor off.How to you know that and its not another part?Do you have voltage down by the compressor when it shuts off.If so its probably the start device. I would not use a hard to start kit on this compressor as if it is not bad now, that hard start will make it go bad.If you know for sure the overload is opening up and shutting compressor off buy the O.E.M part as this will be either the compressor being bad or start device.This would be your wiring diagram attach Below.I am sorry i read your post and the condenser fan is still running buy compressor shuts off.will be compressor or start device.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:26:02 PM by dab147315 »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 05:32:34 PM »
I am sorry i reread your original post and you say the condenser fan is still working when the compressor shuts off.So your at the point where it will be the compressor or start device.Buy the O.E.M part for the compressor.

Offline sarjushah

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 07:31:28 PM »
it sound like bad a compressor!!!

Offline UncleRodge

• Technician
    • Flipping Appliances
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 02:37:14 PM »
Ok, the thermal protector is part of the start relay device on the side of the compressor.  You said you could put a fan behind the fridge and it won't shut off.  It is overheating, the Thermal Protector would kick in and shut the compressor off, but sounds more like an air flow problem.  If the compressor were bad, having the fan there should not stop it from shutting off.

I would check your coils to be sure that they are clean and air can flow properly.  Make sure there is a back cover over the compressor area.  You should be able to feel around the kickplate at the front side bottom area for air flowing from one side over the coils and compressor and back to the front under the fridge.  Or the fan is not producing enough air flow.

Just some thoughts...
Rodge
www.flippingappliances.com Learn how to Buy & Sell Appliances on a Shoestring Budget!

Sick and Tired of Being Fat? http://bit.ly/123itsgone

All you can do is all you can do, but all you can do is enough!  18+ Years Buying, Selling & Repairing Appliances

Offline wrench191

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 02:49:03 PM »
Cleaning the coils was the first thing I did. I have vacuuned it down and charged with 5 ounces of 134a low press 3 lbs.I think that there is a thermal protector in the sealed unit. I
have been on several forums and they all say the overload protector and thermal protector are the same thing. Overload
means amps, thermal means heat. I took the fan away it overheated and the compresser shut off. no draw. I installed a
3 and one hard start kit for test. No start and no draw. I am waiting for it to cool off to see if it will start.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 03:33:05 PM »
Theres know thermal protector in the  seal unit.The thermal overload is in the original start device.Or the one i posted part#5304491941 its that little white and black thing on the back side.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:35:26 PM by dab147315 »

Offline wrench191

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »
I have a hard start kit and installed to see if that was problem. It uses the original run capacitor not a start capacitor. I have wired it like it shows but someone said it needs to be wired different if foreign
made. Its says made in Brasil.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 04:16:30 PM »
Woooo wait. You did sealed system work to it already?

Offline wrench191

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »
Update I unplugged  the original run capacitor that the hard start kit  showed wired in and it took off working. I will wait and see if it quits when warmed up.

Offline wrench191

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 04:21:48 PM »
So far it hasent missed a beat. My temp gauge only goes to zero but its pegged there in the freezer. The compressor hasent stalled since I removed the capacitor on the 3 and 1 kit. No fan assit. If it lastes another day I will order  part#5304491941 and install that. Also the compresser seems to be cooler now.

Offline wrench191

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »
Frig. seems to be fixed. Had to turn down temp. New oem starter kit ordered.