Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: AC Leak repair or products like unto it. For sealing leaks in a fridge  (Read 2463 times)

Offline rbmappltech

• Technician

I have a Kenmore/Whirlpool Side by Side fridge about 2 years old. I installed a dye drier let the unit run for about 30 days. Unable to find any external leaks. Sears replace the fridge and I was given it to practice on. I was thinking about using some kind of AC leak repair. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated about  this product or related products.

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Technician
Try using a spray bottle filled with dish soap and a little water.Check the evap coils for leaks
and any other fittings near and around the compressor tubing.
No know repair kit on the market...you will need some tools to recover the refrigerant per epa rules and a torch and vacuum pump and gages and service valve and some nitrogen ...etc.
still beating the drum

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
If it's a dual evaporator whirlpool french door model you likely have a leak in the evaporator in the fresh food compartment.

Offline handsmcgee

• Technician
I have tried the "fixa flat" repairs on a/c and fridges. On a/c units if you don't do it correctly, you will lock up a compressor. Trust me when I say the directions are wrong. I bleed it through my gages, bypassing a small mixture of liquid Freon, making a flush thru. Using exact direction, I always lock a compressor in 30 days.  On fridges, if the condenser fan drops out and you get a high temp problem. The lacquer used to seal the windings will release moisture and plug up the cap tube system. We won't even recommend any leak repair product now. UV dye, electronic sensor, and good ole soap bubbles, and a lotta patience, you'll find the leak.