Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore 80 series washer intermittent spin problem  (Read 2135 times)

Offline fn31

• VIP Member
Kenmore 80 series washer intermittent spin problem
« on: April 16, 2015, 08:35:44 AM »

Hello, I have an 80 series top loading Kenmore washer. Washer would do everything but spin. I took the machine apart and found that the clutch pads were worn. I replaced the entire clutch assembly. while I was at it I also replaced the motor coupler( coupler was good)  along with the lid switch. It worked fine for a couple of days. Then the spin problem resurfaced again. I inspected the basket drive block and that was fine. I did find that when I turned the timer around to the different spin cycles that it would make a "clack" type of  sound (the sound of I guess the brake disengaging) and it would start spining again. It will continue to work for maybe 3 or 4 loads of clothes then the problem resurfaces again. At this point Im  not sure what to do. Its driving my wife crazy and she wants to take a hammer to it lol. At this point i'm not sure what it could be. Any suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
Re: Kenmore 80 series washer intermittent spin problem
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:55:27 AM »

Might be a faulty timer. After agitation stops, the washer goes into a 2 minute drain period without spinning. At the end of the 2 minutes, the motor stops and then starts again. This takes the transmission out of neutral so that it will start spinning while continuing to drain. If there is no motor pause after the 2 minute drain, the timer is faulty. If it does pause but still won't go into spin unless you turn the washer off and on again, it looks like a faulty neutral drain mechanism in the transmission.

Eric

Offline fn31

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »
thanks for the suggestion Eric, I will certainly check the spin cycle more carefully and observed what is occuring before and after the spin cycle. One question. What you stated with a timer that is working properly will this sequence occur the same way regardless of the spin cycle that the timer is on?

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »

Yes, but the washer must operate in agitation cycle first before advancing to drain and then spin. It must agitate for at least a few seconds in order for the transmission neutral drain to be "set". Then it will go into drain without spinning. If you just spin the dial around checking spin in each cycle without allowing any agitation, it should spin as the transmission will not be in neutral.

Eric

Offline fn31

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 12:52:44 PM »
Update, I just ran the washer through a couple of cycles and this is what occured. Washer would not go into draining phase. After agitation it would go into spin and drain the water as it spun. During the second  test the machine after agitation would not spin at all but the water would drain out and you could hear the motor whirling but no spin at all and it stayed this way until the end of the cycle then shut off. I would have to play around with the timer dial to get it into the spin cycle.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 01:09:48 PM »
  During the second test, after the 2 minute drain, did the motor stop for a few seconds and then restart? If not, the timer is faulty. In the first test, the fact that it went into spin directly after agitation indicates you have an intermittent neutral drain mechanism in the transmission. This is fairly common and is no big deal.

Eric
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:10:51 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline fn31

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »
During the second test the washer did in fact go into the pause phase where the motor shut off for a few seconds and turn on again, but no spin. At this point it seems that my transmission has a faulty neutral drain mechanism. I know that they sell a kit to repair the transmission but I read that its a messy job. I know that i can do the job. If I purchase a new transmission at least it will give me peace of mind that nothing else in the tranny can go wrong. I priced them out and I can get one for about 167.00 including shipping. We'll see lol Thanks again Eric. I'll keep you posted not sure yet if I want to repair or buy new.

Offline fn31

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:46:23 AM »
Update: Replaced the transmission. Got a super great price on a rebuilt one from a local appliance parts store. That did the trick!!!! My 15 year old washer is back in service. I'm going to keep the old transmission and replace the neutral drain parts and keep it as a spare. Thanks Eric for all your help much appreciated. This is a wonderful site!!!

Frank

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 07:05:36 AM »
Good to hear, thanks for the update.