Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Could use some help with Kenmore Elite 665.16493300 fried circuit board  (Read 20128 times)

Offline snrusnak

• VIP Member

Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some help here with my dishwasher.  A couple weeks ago it stopped working, essentially acting like it had no power (none of the buttons did anything).  I checked the supply and it has power.  I took the door apart and found a definite problem, but I'm not sure where to go from there.  I'm very mechanical, but not the best electrically.  I found this circuit board that has obviously overheated, two burnt pins, the worse one actually melted the board and is loose.  I haven't pulled the wire out of the connector yet but it appears to have signs of melted insulation.  I could probably just replace the board, but I'm afraid it will happen again (something must be causing this, right?  too small gauge of wire maybe?).  Worse yet, I don't want a fire.  Any help is appreciated, I do have a multimeter but would definitely need guidance on how to proceed with testing things.  Thank you in advance!

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Looks like it was a loose connection at that spade on the board.  That will cause overheating.  If you can clean up the board at this point, and solder in a new spade terminal, you could cut back the wire that connects to it and replace the female connecter and theres a good chance the board is OK.

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Also test the thermal fuse mounted at edge of the board. This is the kind of problem the fuse is supposed to handle.

Offline snrusnak

• VIP Member
Thanks for the help.  What does the thermal fuse look like?  And could you explain in some more depth how to test it?  Here is a picture of the multimeter that I have...

Also, I'm not sure this board is usable, the are around that pin is completely melted.  Not sure I could get a new pin soldered in and be secure enough to push the connector on without breaking the board in that spot.  It's sort of like jelly all around that pin.

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
I would recommend replacing the board and the wire terminal that's burned. Here is a link to the replacement thermal fuse with a video. It shows the location of the fuse and the replacement procedure. To test it, first make certain that power is disconnected to the dishwasher. Remove the wires from the terminals on the fuse. Set your meter to the 200 ohm setting and connect the probes to the terminals on the fuse. If you read 0 ohms it's good. if the reading is infinite or open, it's bad. You can buy the board and the thermal fuse, if needed, from Appliance Parts Pros.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-dishwasher-fuse-kit-8193762-ap3178588.html#autoplay
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:22:50 PM by scrapiron »

Offline snrusnak

• VIP Member
Thanks the videos were helpful, I didn't even notice that fuse lol.

I think I'm doing this right, correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm assuming since it's reading 1 that means its faulty?

Offline SumGuy

• VIP Member
Follow the wires connected to those burned spade posts.   Are those the wires supplying power to the board, or do those posts supply power to something else inside the washer (like the motor or heater) ? 

Your meter is indicating an open circuit (or a resistance higher than 200 ohms).  Verify that the meter is working by touching the 2 probes together - the meter should read zero (or close to it).

Offline snrusnak

• VIP Member
Touching the prongs together on my meter gives a 0.4.... does that mean close enough to 0???

Also, I traced the wires, the very burnt one goes to the door latch switch.  The other less burnt one goes to a connector under the left of the dishwasher, can't tell what it is.  It is just that wire and another wire connected to it, and it's a metal "strap" that's attached to the SS shell of the dishwasher.  Maybe a ground?  It's a white wire with red stripe. Where it leads to is located underneath, left (looking at the door), towards the front (door side).

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
The thermal fuse is good if Your meter is indicating a reading very close to 0 ohms , then fuse is fine. Don't over think this. It wasn't caused by any other component in the dishwasher. The problem was caused by a loose connection on the board where the terminal was burned. Loose connections generate heat and cause the burned area you found. Replace the board. Replace the burned terminal and you should be good. Providing the fuse is good.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:41:36 PM by scrapiron »

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
Re: Could use some help with Kenmore Elite 665.16493300 fried circuit board
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 10:37:59 PM »
One more thing, use a good quality terminal with a proper crimp and make sure the connections are tight at the new terminal and also at the thermal fuse terminals.

Offline snrusnak

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 03:40:48 PM »
Thank you.  I'm confused now though, I think I may have made my response unclear.  When I use the multi meter to test the resistance across the fuse it reads 1.  When I touch the multimeter prongs to each other it reads 0.4 (very close to 0).  The other poster said this is how to check that the multi meter is working correctly.  So I believe the fuse is bad, correct?

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »
If the meter reads 0 without the probes connected to anything and reads 1 with the probes connected to the fuse, then the meter is indicating continuity/good fuse. technically. your meter should read 0 ohms with the probes together or while testing the fuse. Not being there and doing the test makes it a little hard to say for certain, but I think your fuse is most likely good. If you're not sure, order the fuse along with the board. The fuse is less than $20.

Offline snrusnak

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »
It's reading 1 with the probes connected to nothing, 1 with the probes connected to the fuse, and 0 (close to 0) when I touch the probes to each other.

Offline snrusnak

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »
I decided to order the control board and the fuse anyway, the fuse isn't that expensive anyway...  Will post back once she's up and running!  Thanks again.

Offline snrusnak

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 08:05:53 PM »
I received the new thermal fuse today and it shows 0.4 ohms across the terminals (same as if I just touch the multimeter prongs together) whereas the old fuse would read 1.  So I'm thinking this is the root cause...

Here's a stupid question, how do you remove the wire from the plastic connector?  I think I need to replace one.  And where can I buy a new female metal prong/clip for that plastic connector?

Thanks again for the help!

Offline snrusnak

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 09:45:15 PM »
Can anyone tell me where to buy a new metal female electrical connector?  I got it out of the plastic connector but it's not usable to reuse.  I can't find one online that is the same type.  I have everything ready to go, this is the last thing I need.  Thanks in advance.

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 01:54:02 AM »
It should be a standard 1/4" female spade connector from any hardware store. They are rare, but try to find steel ones

Offline snrusnak

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 07:11:21 AM »
Well all I can find is this style connector:

Which I probably have some out in the shop too, but I don't want to use this style, I feel like it has potential to have a loose connection.  The style that is used on the dishwasher is like this:

This is what I'd like to replace it with.  I can almost reuse the old one, the spade itself is fine, it's where I was trying to uncrimp the old wire that's boogered up.  Maybe I should just solder a wire to the end of it.  Was just hoping to find the right connector so I don't have to worry about it.

Thoughts?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 08:14:30 AM »
I received the new thermal fuse today and it shows 0.4 ohms across the terminals (same as if I just touch the multimeter prongs together) whereas the old fuse would read 1.  So I'm thinking this is the root cause...

Here's a stupid question, how do you remove the wire from the plastic connector?  I think I need to replace one.  And where can I buy a new female metal prong/clip for that plastic connector?

Thanks again for the help!

The new fuse should have come with new wire connections as shown in the link below.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-dishwasher-fuse-kit-8193762-ap3178588.html

I guess yours did not come with them? Where did you buy the fuse?
I have never seen them come without new connection because the connections should always be changed even if they look ok. This is why new connections are always included with the new fuse.

What is the part number on the new fuse you ordered?