Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: ROPER Top Load - Agitates, Drains, But will not Spin  (Read 4946 times)

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
ROPER Top Load - Agitates, Drains, But will not Spin
« on: March 20, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »

I'm beating my head against a wall on this one. The washing machine fills, agitates, drains, but will not spin. You can tell when it engages the spin cycle on the timer. You can hear the motor running and you can see the barrel trying to spin (with no clothes in it) but it goes painfully slow. In one attempt, I gave it a little nudge and it actually got up to speed but in subsequent attempts it would just slow back down to a crawl. With clothes in it (small load) it will not turn at all.

I have replaced the clutch and I have replaced the motor coupler, neither of which looked bad but are new now. What could I be missing??????????

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
Re: ROPER Top Load - Agitates, Drains, But will not Spin
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »
  You need to run the machine with the cabinet off and lid switch bypassed. Place washer in spin. The clutch hub should be spinning. If it isn't, there's a problem with the transmission. If clutch hub is spinning, look up into the brake hub (brake hub is fixed). You should see the brakes and brake spring spinning along with the clutch hub. If it is not, the clutch is slipping either due to a faulty clutch band, oil in the clutch hub, sticking brakes, broken brake cam driver, clothes between the tubs....  If the brakes and brake spring are spinning but basket is not, then the basket drive block under the agitator is the problem.

Eric

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 03:16:20 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply! What do you mean "clothes between the tubs"....are there actually two? One inside the other? And clothing can actually get between them?

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »

Yes, there are two tubs. Where do you think the water goes in those holes all over the inner tub?

Eric

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 03:37:06 PM »
I figured there was but it never occured to me that clothes could somehow get between them.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »

It happens a lot, especially when people overload the tub. That's how socks end up getting into the drain pump and jamming it.

Eric

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
Does the inside tub move independently of the outer tub? I ask because when I turn it by hand, there is a point or two where I feel some friction when turning it. My fist thought was transmission but now I'm wondering if indeed a sock or something has gotten in there.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 04:53:42 PM »
  The inner tub rotates independently of the outer tub. The outer tub is fixed to a suspension system. It's hard to turn the inner tub by hand because the brakes are always applied unless the washer in running in spin cycle.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:56:47 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 06:55:49 PM »
Like fairbanks said, check the tub block. I would do it first.

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 07:01:07 PM »
Just got home and starting to tear into this thing....again. I've removed the cabinet and taken out the agitator. Getting ready to by pass the switch and see what's going on. I'll send an update here in a bit

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 08:06:39 PM »
Fired it up and the clutch is spinning just fine. The brake hub is turning, but very slowly. It looks to be in sync with the tub turning slowly in the spin cycle.

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »
I might mention that I did see some fine metallic shavings, about the size of salt grains, on top of the hub and spanner nut when I removed the agitator.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 08:46:05 PM »

Assume you mean that the brakes and brake spring are turning, not the brake hub as the brake hub is fixed. The part that holds the brake shoes, brake spring and tub drive shaft is called the basket drive. So looks like the clutch is slipping. Could be that the brakes are sticking (not releasing properly) or there is clothing between the tubs. Need to pull the transmission and try rotating the brake cam driver CCW by hand. This should release the brakes and allow the tub to rotate fairly easily. If it feels bound up, you need to pull the inner tub. Then you can check for clothing between the tubs and you can pull the basket drive and inspect the brake mechanism.

Eric

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »
Yes you caught what I was trying to say correctly. Since I replaced the clutch already, I'm going to assume it is OK and focus next on the break. Right before your post I watched a good video on YouTube that I think was saying the same thing. It does seem that maybe the break is sticking. I'll pull it next and be back in a few...... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=veP71xdNnxc

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 09:18:53 PM »
Ok...I put everything back together, flipped her over and pull the transmission and shaft assembly to get to the break. It appears to be fine. When I turn the breaker counterclockwise, it and the basin turn fairly easily. You can tell the weight of the basin but can still turn easily with one hand. When break is turned clockwise, it locks right up.

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 10:07:29 PM »
Got it all put back together and kicked it in to spin without water and agitator still off. It got up to speed but it appeared the drive shaft would turn independent of the tub and then gradually the tub would catch up. Not sure if that's normal or not. Got it up to speed 3 times without any problems. Going to try an actual load of clothes, a small one, and see what happens. At this point I'm thinking it may have had to do with the clutch or brake not sure which though.

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 08:35:09 AM »
Ok well this has not gone well. After I put in the load and got it started, it filled and agitated just fine but would never drain therefore never get to the rinse cycle. It's almost like the controller is screwed up now but this is so out of line with the other problems I was having. Lid switch isn't working now either although it is just remaining closed, not open. So that's not slowing me down.

Based on the original issue of not spinning, I'm now wondering if I've dislodged something that was between the tubs when I was checking the brake, and now that something is stuck in the drain.

Any thoughts now????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 09:39:56 AM »
Didn't find anything in the drain system and pump is free.

I'm a master electrician so I know a little something about controls. Would I be correct in assuming a washer has high and low limits that need to be actuated in order for a next cycle to engage? What with the timer if a limit isn't actuated?

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 11:12:05 AM »

There are no limit controls. There is a self-resetting thermal overload switch in the motor. What does it do when in drain/spin cycle? All quiet? Motor running as in shaft rotating or just humming and not rotating? What is the model number of the washer?

Eric

Offline mcass

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 11:35:22 AM »
  Well...I'm surprised. I went ahead and went by the parts house this morning to get the lid switch and while there I went ahead an picked up a new water level switch and controller just in case. Since they closed at noon I didn't want to have to wait til Monday if I found I needed something else. Because I new the lid switch was stuck in the closed position I thought I'd go ahead and replace it and give the thing another test run. Started it on the rinse cycle and she ran all the way through no problems. Seems like maybe that lid switch may have been the problem all along. Not sure why because closed is closed but guessing it may have something to do with the difference in draw on the motor between different cycles. Works now though.