Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Stumped with Maytag LSE7804ACE washer that will not agitate  (Read 5575 times)

Offline pad2383

• VIP Member
Stumped with Maytag LSE7804ACE washer that will not agitate
« on: March 12, 2015, 09:24:46 PM »

Hi,

I've been trying to repair this Maytag LSE7804ACE washer for awhile now and I'm totally stumped.  Here are the symptoms.

-The washer fills, no problem, to the properly selected level with the properly selected water temperature.  Then it stops filling and nothing happens.  No action at all, the washer does not agitate. 

-If I turn the timer to "spin," the washer then spins and drains the tub no problem, ending its cycle.

-The first time this happened, there was a distinct electrical burn smell.

My first thought was that the motor crapped out but it seemed strange that the motor would work in spin cycle and not in agitate. When I spin the belts underneath by hand I can get the agitator to move properly in one direction and the spin cycle/pump to operate properly in the other.  This seemed to prove that nothing was wrong mechanically and it must be an electrical issue.

I know the washer uses a single speed reversible motor with a capacitor and five wire leads but I really don't know much about motors (Details on the motor: P/N 6 2016640-14, Model S67PXHEH-7631).  I made a tester wire and connected the motor directly into the wall power and surprisingly, the motor works perfectly in both directions, the washer agitates and spins (depending on how you connect the wires).  I've attached a picture below of how I connected the tester wires to get it to work both ways.  So after doing this, I figured OK, the motor is definitely good, even if it does have a couple spots that are dark or burned looking in the coil and even if it does seem to be the source of the burn smell.    I figured, it must be something else.

So I accessed the lid safety switch and I tested it with an ohm meter.  It tested fine.

I tested the capacitor for the motor too but it was hard to tell if my digital multimeter was responding the way it should (it's a cheap one).  Anyhow, the capacitor looked fine, not misshapen or burned so I moved on.

I figured it wasn't related to the water valves, or pressure switch since, the water fills and stops filling as intended.

So next, using an ohm meter, I tested the timer.  The timer tested good but since the motor seemed fine and the switch seemed fine and everything else seemed fine, I figured it must be the timer and I bought another one and replaced it anyway.  Sure enough, the new timer made no difference.  Still no agitate.

So, that's where I am now.  Totally stumped as to how to fix this thing and hoping that some of you out there who are way better at this than me can give me a clue.

I've attached a picture of the wiring diagram/schematic too, in case it is helpful.

Please hit me up with tips and information.  I'm determined to fix this thing.  Thanks for any and all help in advance.  :cheers:

Pad

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Stumped with Maytag LSE7804ACE washer that will not agitate
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 06:03:57 AM »
Does the washer have the same result on all water levels?

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 06:57:28 AM »
Although your lid switch tested out OK it sound like your lid switch is NOT MAKING UP. You may have to bend the little metal bar that connects to the lid switch. To prove it out jumper the switch out, I think you will find this will take care of it. Let us know what you find. ALL EYES POINT TO THE LID SWITCH my guess.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
If the machine is spinning and you lift the lid and it stops, lid switch is fine. The timer is responsible for reversing the motor so my vote is bad timer.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
  After the washer stops filling, does the timer then start advancing? If not, your not getting power to the timer through the pressure switch. Bad pressure switch or wiring between switch and timer (purple wire). In spin cycle, the pressure switch is bypassed by a set of contacts in the timer (contact 1).

Eric
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:28:38 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline pad2383

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »
Awesome.  Very helpful tips for me to investigate.

To answer a few questions-

Yes, if the machine is spinning and I lift the lid, the machine stops.  That's why I figured the lid switch was good.  It tested good for continuity at the correct positions too.

Yes, I believe the washer has the same result on all water levels but I can double check that.

No, the timer does not start advancing after the washer stops filling.  Once the washer stops filling, the timer just freezes. I hear no ticking and see no movement.  Any tips for testing the pressure switch?  I figured it would be fine since the water level stops where it is suppose to but really wasn't sure how to check the unit.

Thanks a lot everyone.  I'll post again after I try your suggestions.

Pad

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 11:30:47 PM »
Double check the wire location on the timer. I had one where the terminals all looked the same in location but the wires were not in the same location. All wires are numbered so check each terminal to the correct numbered wire.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 07:27:38 AM »
  Check for 120vac to ground at the purple wire on the pressure switch once the washer stops filling. If no 120vac, then the switch is bad or the wire connection is faulty. That purple wire from the pressure switch connects to terminal 16J on the timer which is on the front side of the timer, against the panel. May have come loose.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:45:46 AM by fairbank56 »

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 08:05:05 AM »
I agree with Fairbank. I'd be checking pressure switch circuit

Offline pad2383

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 11:32:57 PM »
Thanks again for the tips.  I finally was able to check out the pressure switch as you guys suggested and you were right.  I am not getting any power through the switch to the timer on the purple wire.  When I test the purple wire coming off the switch up to the timer, I get zero volts (I did hear a click and see a tiny jump on the voltmeter at the moment the fill stopped, but then nothing 0.00 volts through the purple).

So I'm thinking let's replace the switch and see what happens.

The pressure switch that is on there now is the original to the machine Maytag part # 207787.  From a little online research it looks like the new replacement part for this is whirlpool # 12002304.

Here's my problem though-

The current switch on the washer has terminals numbered, 11, 12, 13, 21, 22, 23, 31, 32, & 33.

The replacement switch has terminals labeled  11, 12, 14, 21, 22, 24, 31, 32, & 34.

As you can see the numbers don't quite line up.

I know I've got pink, brown, yellow, white & purple wires coming off the switch and a number of jumper wires linked on it. 

So the question is, how do I hook this thing up properly?

Any help on this is extremely appreciated.  I've included a picture of the replacement part #12002304 as well as the schematic drawing for the original part # 207787.  Thanks so much for all the help.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 10:29:13 AM »

It shows you right on the diagram. 13 or 14, 23 or 24, 33 or 34.

Eric

Offline pad2383

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »
Wow, I'm an idiot. 

The part is ordered.  I'll report back after install.  Thanks again.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 03:22:43 PM »

Hey, sometimes the hardest things to see are the ones staring right in our face   :)

Eric

Offline pad2383

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 01:53:28 AM »
Alright, so the new pressure switch arrived and I raced to install it, double checked the connections at the correct terminals, turned the washer on to cycle, and... the same problem that has been plaguing me from the beginning.  The tank fills and then nothing.  No agitation.  I tested the purple wire coming off the switch for voltage and still was not showing measuring any.

What's the next move?  I'm determined to fix this thing but after replacing the timer and now the pressure switch, I'm pretty discouraged and in pretty deep dollar wise.  What am I missing here?

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 08:25:07 AM »
  Well, now I am the idiot and I apologize for giving you bad information. The level selector and pressure switch control the neutral circuit, not the hot side, so you will not and should not read 120vac to ground at the pressure switch purple wire if the switches are working correctly. Check your water level selector switch. You should have continuity from gray to yellow at large setting, gray to brown at medium setting and gray to pink at low setting. Seems your losing your neutral somewhere along the circuit either at the level selector, the wiring harness connector or the wiring between these components. You should actually read 120vac to ground at the pressure switch purple wire while the washer is filling. When it stops filling, it should drop to 0.

Eric
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:40:16 AM by fairbank56 »

Offline jack44556677

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 02:49:30 PM »
I was deceived by my symptoms as well.  I am not 100% sure about your issue however, as you said you could manually set it to spin and it would work whereas I couldn't (and likely you have already dealt with the issue, one way or another).

However for any others that may have a model like this one (lse7804ace maytag stackable) that is not agitating, I have important news!  The lid switch has 2 buttons in it, and even when one is working (the one that clicks when you close the door and diverts power to the water filling solenoids is usually working, it's a solid button unlike the other one), the other one may not be!

If you are experiencing issues like I was, where it will fill (and stop when you open the door) and will not agitate or continue its cycle and won't spin or drain (no power is getting to the motor) - then your problem is almost certainly the lid switch (it is the OTHER switch in the lid switch assembly, that sends power to the motor and is SUPPOSED to be a safety feature for when the motor / wash basin go out of control - but tends to blow fuses and disrupt operation instead :().

I think anything more than 20$ bucks for that switch assembly is theft, so either fix/refurbish the check switch yourself (this can be tricky, I did it with a little degreaser injected by the button - but it isn't perfect - others have suggested bending the metal part a little bit to make better contact with the check switch button) or simply cut the check switch out entirely (a little unsafe, make sure you can unplug the thing from the mains if it goes rouge on you) and make sure the power that is diverted through the pink and orange wires also goes to black (motor).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:51:25 PM by jack44556677 »

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 07:00:21 AM »
Glad you found the issue!👍