Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag dryer belt routing  (Read 5722 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Maytag dryer belt routing
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:06:15 PM »

I am currently involved with repairing a Maytag gas dryer model LDG5004AAW that required a new blower wheel. The replacement was installed as normal after some unusual work . Unusual in that the new blower wheel sourced from a Maytag dealer wobbled slightly when installed on the motor shaft. The motor shaft was not bent and the wheel fit snug on the shaft. The old damaged wheel had rubbed on the outer metal  housing face at the front eventually wearing the plastic wheel so much that a couple of vanes were separated from the outer ring of the molded plastic ring. Nothing had come completely apart yet but the hub was very loose on the motor shaft. I had to shim the outer housing front cover out a very slight amount to keep this new wheel from rubbing on it which was making a lot of noise . The housing face cover did not appear to be bent.  It appears to me that some of these blower wheels are not molded very well and can rub on the housing if the shaft hole is not correct in relation to the blower wheel face and outer diameter. After correcting this problem and putting the drum back into position, I attempted to reinstall the belt and kicked myself for not making a diagram of the belt routing. Maybe I am crazy but why do some dryers run the belt with the grooves on the drum surface and this one  runs the flat surface of the belt on the drum ? Is this design  that uses the 5 groove/rib  belt  adequate to run the flat of the belt on the drum surface as compared to the skinny 4 groove/rib that usually  runs the groove side of the belt  on the drum surface. I guess it has to do with the orientation of the idler relative to the motor shaft but it really is confusing at times. Has anyone else noted the 2 problemsI mentioned ?

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag dryer belt routing
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 09:16:36 PM »
Not sure on rubbing, but I believe this diagram shoes the belt and the bends it needs to make....

[attachment auto deleted after 5 years by admin]

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 09:36:39 PM »
The new blower wheel (and the old damaged one) was rubbing on the inside of item 13 of the illustration. I added some thin washers to space this cover  out a very small distance to prevent rubbing. This dryer uses a 5 rib belt with the smooth side of the belt running on the drum surface. Others such as kenmore use a 4 rib belt and run the rib side on the drum surface as noted in a video I just reviewed to refresh my memory .

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
As far as the new blower wheel hitting Part number 13,  I would say you had a defective blower wheel.It takes practices in hanging the belt from the front.One of the best dryers ever made.If not.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:32:03 AM by dab147315 »

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 08:46:16 AM »
Yes I agree that this is a good design and long lasting dryer. It does have a large access panel on the back lower section of the cabinet which makes it much easier to install the belt. The illustration and picture got me back in the right direction.  The blower wheel is a decent design if they would mold it properly and maybe put a steel insert in the center for the shaft. This would make it last longer without wallowing out. I paid $32.46 for the new one at the local Maytag dealer.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »
Where do you buy parts from?Yeah i had those blowers wheels broken in the box.33 dollars way to much money.I pay $5.28 at first source servall.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:54:40 AM by dab147315 »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:05:54 AM »
You can understand how the belt goes on better from the small back panel,but if you work on a stackable they don,t have that panel and you must install it from the front.I see that you are not registered as a Tech,but seem to be doing full time is that Correct?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:10:04 AM by dab147315 »

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:11:37 AM »
I knew the local Maytag dealer was boosting the pricing a lot. I will look for this alternate source the next time

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 05:28:38 PM »
Where do you buy parts from?Yeah i had those blowers wheels broken in the box.33 dollars way to much money.I pay $5.28 at first source servall.

Techs and going to pay different prices then the average consumer for part. It's how we make our money. :D

Here is the blower wheel for less then $15 from our parts affiliate.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-blower-wheel-assembly-y303836-ap4294048.html

Now I'll wait for a reply how someone bought one on ebay or amazon for $2.49 with free shipping. ;)

:popcorn:

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:33:13 PM »
Yeah... that's a silly design. minimum of a brass insert needed...