Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: york heat pump  (Read 4461 times)

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
york heat pump
« on: February 21, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »

Been driving me insane now for 2weeks.
Model number on the air handler is f2rp030h06g
with a heat strip
model number: 2hk16501006b
Problem is intermittent heat.
First reset all the wire terminal connections points on the air handler, worked for 24hrs. Back to no heat again.

Thought I finally tracked down the issue the other day in action. The relay on my AUX heater wasn't closing sending L2 to the heat strip. So installed a new relay, had heat for 24hrs.
Again no heat. Called a buddy of mine that does HVAC for a living gave him my symptoms and model. He said it's the control board has had several that crapped out. Ok, picked up a new board yesterday. Installed it last night system ran for about 8hrs then again sometime during the night, no heat.  So today I turned off system at the thermostat, go down stairs to the air handler. Fan was still running. Go back upstairs, remove the thermostat from the wall breaking all the connection points. Go back down stairs fan is still running. Turned off the breakers. Pulled the board back out checked all my connections. All were good. Suspected bad board. Put the old board back in. Heat started running. Fan back to normal operation. Been running all morning now to get to a set point. Because it was -4 deg last night it was quite cold. Finally unfroze enough to run out get kero for my kero heater. Got that running now. While out I picked up a new thermostat. Wired in the new thermostat set it up for my single stage HP with back up electric heat and my temp swings. Right now I just have the fan running to take advantage of the kero heater. Before I freeze again tonight can anyone help me trouble shoot my intermittent issue further?

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: york heat pump
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »
If your main concern is the "Aux" backup electric heater bank....if you only have ONE bank i would make sure the element is in good shape..

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
I checked that long ago. First ohmed it out=good. Removed to see if it was grounded or broken after another no heat cycle=good. It is cycling on after a reset just not again after it reached set point.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 11:31:38 AM »
But you have replaced both the stat AND the handler pcb? Wow any other controls?

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
Let me see if I can get the order of replacement correct.
relay on heat strip.
air handler pcb
then removed air handler pcb and put old pcb back in (due to constant air handler fan operation)
thermostat
Current set up is new relay, old handler pcb, and new thermostat. Cycled all functions of the unit on the thermostat, Fan=ok, heat pump=ok, heatpump with AUX=ok,Emerg heat(aux heater with air handler fan on, no outdoor unit operation)=ok

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »
Wired in the new thermostat set it up for my single stage HP with back up electric heat and my temp swings. Sounds like something I would run into. Dude ,no help hear. You have checked everything I can think of . Have you ohmed your wires from Thermostat to unit .

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 02:13:08 PM »
Same. So it will cycle aux heat ONCE, then not again when called for? Ill ask my friend! O0

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 02:44:23 PM »
I haven't ohmed out the thermostat wires but I can.
I can't say with certainty that it is only once but it certainly doesn't cycle back on.
As of right now the new thermostat is cycling the emer aux heaters every time now for the last 6hs or so.
It always works when I'm awake watching it... it craps out in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping LOL  >:(

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
MAybe outdoor themistor is out of range....

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 02:52:31 PM »
nope, builder grade crap. No outdoor temp sensor on this pos. LOL  O0

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 02:53:10 PM »
 :D

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
picked up yet another new control board today for my air handler today.
So I now have a new sequencer(relay) on my aux heater, new thermostat, new control board.
I feel like a freaking parts changer. Wish I could catch the issue in action.
See if I have heat in the morning since we are expecting -4 deg temps tonight.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:00:24 PM by keithvibe »

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 05:07:37 PM »
Cool cool!