Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Neptune gas dryer starting problem  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune gas dryer starting problem
« on: February 06, 2015, 05:32:09 PM »

I recently was given a free Maytag Neptune gas dryer model number MDG4000AWW s/n 10785892WM  that was not working properly . It is a nice looking dryer. The previous owner told me it needed a new motor. I took the dryer apart and cleaned all the dirt and lint out of the bottom end . I tried the motor with no drum in place and it would start but it did not start easy. Next I took the motor out and cleaned it and lubed the centrifugal switch which was sticking slightly. All components were put back together and the dryer was hooked up to power. It growled but finally started and did so several times. Finally after about 5 times of shutting off and attempting to restart it would not start. I have noted this motor is a 1/4 HP and I believe newer models are made with a 1/3 HP version. I am reluctant to put a new motor in this dryer of the original spec as I think it is  a little too weak especially when a load of clothes is in the drum. Can anyone tell me if a 1/3 HP motor is available from the parts houses to fit in this dryer ?  I dont want to scrap it but this is the 2nd time I have noted this same problem on a dryer. The 1st time a few months back it happened on a Frigidaire dryer with a 1/4 HP motor. It appears Amana used a 1/3 HP dryer which seems to do he job better.  HELP.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag Neptune gas dryer starting problem
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »
Just replace it with the same motor.  You said you removed a lot of lint. That's probably the main cause of the failure.  1/4 hp is plenty of power.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »
I am currently looking for a used motor to replace the existing one. I may have to buy a new one as the used ones may have the same problem. Still would like to try a 1/3 HP version if it would fit and work

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »
Found a used motor in very good condition for a good price on E Bay in Utah. Installed it and the dryer runs fine and starts the drum turning OK. Lint was not a factor in the problem. The motor was worn out and the bearings had too much drag due to wear. This  old 1/4 HP motor would possibly be OK for a small drum type dryer. I had to shim the blower wheel on the D shaft end of the motor due to wear of the blower wheel hub.

Offline newbie15

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 01:40:33 PM »
I have to replace the motor on my Maytag Drying Cabinet MCG8000AWW.  Can I ask how did you get the drum out to access the motor?

Thanks

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »
I have no experience on the type of unit you mention but on a regular dryer you have to remove a couple of screws to allow the top to be tipped or slid back. Next you have to reach in behind and under the drum to move the idler pulley against the spring tension and take the belt off the motor pulley. This allows the drum to slide out to the front. This allows access to the burner and motor assembly. If the type of unit you have does not allow the top to be tipped up there must be enough room to allow the drum to slide out the front after the belt tension is released.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »
I have to replace the motor on my Maytag Drying Cabinet MCG8000AWW.  Can I ask how did you get the drum out to access the motor?

Thanks
Start another thread and we may have a service manual for you.

Offline newbie15

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 06:16:34 PM »
I have a service manual.  I have seen videos on how to remove the belt from the pulley, but they are all from single dryers so the drum lifts out from the removed top.   

I am trying to find out how to access the motor going in from the front.  The space is very small between a steam compartment and the drum.  I am trying to find out if I need to remove something else to access it from the front. 

The only way I can see going in from the back requires almost a total deconstruction of the cabinet. Something I'd prefer not to do.

Thanks

Offline dab147315

• Technician

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 07:29:01 PM »
Again as I mentioned in an earlier response I have never taken one these units apart. I did find a couple of videos on you tube that shows how to disassemble the front of the dryer compartment where the drum ,motor, and burner are located. You may want to look at these videos to see if it will help you. Looks like it requires more effort than a std type dryer but not impossible to to do. Once the front cover is off it looks like there would be room to get the front drum support panel off and  get the belt off and then remove the drum. I recently took a motor out of a std  dryer and those spring clips holding the motor in its saddle are not easily removed. They are even harder to replace when you put a motor back into position. Takes lots of patience and some real effort to get the front one back in place. 

Offline newbie15

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 10:45:46 PM »
Thanks to all.  We were personally unable to reach into the dryer from the front to remove the belt from the pulley.

It was the solution to getting the drum out.  We located a friend with a long thin arm who was able to get right in and remove and then replace the belt after the repair.

The problem ended up being the Thermal Fuse not the motor.  But the drum et all had to also be removed to access the fuse.
Thanks again.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 10:56:47 PM »
Glad to hear you were able to get that animal repaired. Sometimes these repair jobs are the pits thank to the clever guys at places like Maytag, etc