Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool SF362 Gas Range Oven Ignition problems  (Read 1793 times)

Offline johnnason

• Technician
Whirlpool SF362 Gas Range Oven Ignition problems
« on: January 26, 2015, 03:38:13 PM »

Whirlpool gas range, model SF362LXTB2 when oven is set to bake the surface igniters (All 4) spark but no spark to the bake igniter. I initially thought it was a grounding problem so I devised a separate ground wire from the igniter mount screw to another screw about 16 inches away to ensure a proper ground. No luck. I then pulled unit out, removed rear panels and checked wires, wire routing, and spark module for burnt parts. I then tried both bake and broil modes and they worked O.K. Reassembled, slid in place and back to orig prob. Then I pulled it out again, pulled off rear panels checked wire connections to spark module (all OK) and when I tried it everything worked correctly. Reassembled, pushed back and guess what, orig prob is back. I checked the outlet to ensure proper polarity. I suspect spark module problem but I'm suspicious of a wiring problem. How else can the spark go to all 4 surface burners rather than the bake igniter?

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Whirlpool SF362 Gas Range Oven Ignition problems
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »
That's interesting. ... I would think that it would not matte r if the oven is in, out, or upside down! Unless a panel is getting pushed in badly I can't see wiring moving around! Id check under/behind the drawer at that wiring to sparker...

Offline deekin

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:36:35 PM »
Sounds like wire rubbed raw against rear panel since it works fine with panel off.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »
agreed, but why would it spark the cooktop instead of just by the rubbed wire?

Offline johnnason

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:10:40 AM »
Did more diagnostics yesterday and found the ERC is not supplying power to the DSI. All I can guess is that while removing panels and sliding the unit in and out I unplugged the power cord multiple times. Occasionally when plugging the unit in and powering it up the ERC worked correctly for a few minutes. Sounds crazy but when dealing with electrical components all bets are off!

I also see that my cost for the ERC part #W10108190 is $210  Core Centric remans the unit for $110

Thanks for your inputs

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • My cuss. A LOT.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 09:58:28 AM »
The ERC will go into fail safe mode if it doesnt see the signal from. The dsi board that it has a good flame. So don't rule out the erc just yet.

In my experience, it's always the high voltage wire going to the ignitor. Or the ignitor itself is worn way down.

I use wire harness W10701462. It's the harness whirlpool wants us to use from one of their service bulletins.
LowSL2
18+ Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience
Former $ears/a$e tech

Offline johnnason

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »
Thanks I appreciate your inputs and for sharing your experience.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:48:40 AM »
I know i late to this post but found this Service Pointer that you should know about.Read the part about the spark module solder joint may be hitting bracket.