Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG motor pulsing make sure to use your meter  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Larry the applia

• Technician
LG motor pulsing make sure to use your meter
« on: January 23, 2015, 06:20:23 PM »

Had LG washer this week would not tumble or spin motor just pulse back and forth. Checked stator 8 ohms between windings. so must be hall sensor. Installed new sensor same thing. Had extra stator and rotor on van changed still nothing. Put all old parts back in went to main board checked connector for motor 8 ohms between windings. Bad main board order part install new board same thing.WTF so I checked the rpm sensor from main board found opening on grey wire to rpm sensor inside the wrap when pulled on wire come out of wrap. Run new wire problem solved. So with these new appliances cant get lazy troubleshooting can be very time consuming. I stopped short the first time and did not check last harness. Was sure it was bad board. Well now I have a board I wont need and customer got 150 dollars off there bill.
Larry Johnson
Shannons Appliance repair
Clarksburg, WV

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: LG motor pulsing make sure to use your meter
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 08:00:32 PM »
If units older than 08,needs a sensor no matter what!  Always check the harness before parts swapping silly head!

Offline falcon1235

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 08:55:45 PM »
I have yet to change a hall sensor all of mine have been harnes breaks
Dustin
Bayview Appliance and Mattress

Offline Larry the applia

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »
Falcon thanks for info. But for me that was first harness break. And I have changed several sensors
Larry Johnson
Shannons Appliance repair
Clarksburg, WV

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • My cuss. A LOT.
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
Happens to all of us. Now I'm sure you know that models wiring diagram from memory. :) I just consider it a learning experience.

Will your supplier let you return the board? Mine will if you ask nicely...
LowSL2
18+ Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience
Former $ears/a$e tech

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 11:57:46 PM »
<<< Had LG washer this week would not tumble or spin motor just pulse back and forth. Checked stator 8 ohms between windings. >>>

Except in the rarest of rare circumstances---forget ever testing the STATOR on LG front load washers.
The STATOR (motor) is incredibly reliable.

<<< So with these new appliances cant get lazy troubleshooting can be very time consuming >>>

For the LG front load washer (not any of the other brands)---remember the following---and you'll save an enormous amount of time on diagnostics...

1. On any LG front load washer built 2008 and older---for the symptoms you've described above---replace the HALL EFFECT SENSOR and the  MOTOR WIRE HARNESS. No exceptions.

2. On models built after 2009---replace the MOTOR WIRE HARNESS only--- every 5 years. The HALL EFFECT SENSOR that is used in models built after 2008---simply never fail.

Offline Joeyt56

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 08:33:21 PM »
I wish the lg techline new all about this, I had the same situation except I got lg on the phone told me to replace stator with the hall sensor, didn't work, they then told me to replace the main control didn't work. Had never seen this problem before at the time and figured an lg expert would have. Nope, stopped calling them and dug deeper myself and found the broken wire in the harness myself. Three trips and two parts later equals one expensive learning experience.

Offline gregaguilar

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
I had same problem though i did have a bad rps and installed it and same problem i then took harness wires all apart and could still not find the problem even thought i had continuity from one end to other on all wires, so i went ahead and ordered the 13 dollar part and that fixex the problem. I kept on looking and i found the broken wire, it was connected by a thread. So the ometer helps but still not quiet like it should it can decive you?

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 09:47:14 PM »
I had same problem though i did have a bad rps and installed it and same problem i then took harness wires all apart and could still not find the problem even thought i had continuity from one end to other on all wires, so i went ahead and ordered the 13 dollar part and that fixex the problem. I kept on looking and i found the broken wire, it was connected by a thread. So the ometer helps but still not quiet like it should it can decive you?

A perfect example of following the normal test procedures---but not being able to identify fault.

This is one of those situations where ---*experience* carries the day:)

Offline EricL

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 09:38:04 PM »
An old thread.....but this seems similar to my problem. Any insight in case someone still has their notification on.

I have an LG frontload model WM2133C. Mfg 2009 (according to a sticker at back on drum)

Started acting up. When drum trying to turn, it would buzz and jerk. Took back panel off. Tried starting a cycle and I hear a buzzing sound and some jerking when motor attempts to engage. Could it be a defective Hall sensor? Did a OHM test, reads 10.

Here is a video to help: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HNsFrXqyGduUoVGa7

Any thoughts? Insight?

Thx for your help.

Eric