Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Electrolux bullet style ice maker trips gfi outlet at the water fill position  (Read 2275 times)

Offline briand212

• VIP Member

new problem with the ice maker.

My ice maker quit working .. as recommended it has been upgraded with the 5303918495 kit, 8.2 firmware.
 everything worked great for about a week.. now it trips the gfci outlet when the ice maker is in the fill position

when you turn the ice maker on.. it cycles over to the fingers and sits for about 30-45 minutes
 then moves to the fill position for about 10 -20 minutes  no water comes out and the gfci pops
 Same thing happens with fast freeze on or off

Gfci does not pop if the ice maker is off

I have ran thru all the diagnostics and they all pass .. on diag 55 water comes out just like it should
 verified the limit switch is engaged at the fill position
 took the covers off and connectors apart, used a blow dryer to make sure the connectors were all nice and dry
 still it pops in the water fill position

Has anyone ran across this before ???

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
I have not, but still give my two cents.
In my STRONG opinion, no fridge should be on a gfci outlet because of things such as these. It may have worked just fine for years blah blah blah.... gfci outlets have a mind of their own and no manufacturer can tell me WHY not to use them, but just NOT To use them...

Offline domain

• Technician
And for what its worth, Electrolux refrigeration products specifythe recommendation of not using gfci outlets. Tech  said that engineering had changed the " recommendation" to not use their products on gfci to "do not use" on gfci

Offline briand212

• VIP Member
I have heard that too about gfi but ..  the way my kitchen is laid out there are no non-gfi outlets available.  the only way would be to run a new outlet from the breaker box all the way to the kitchen.. the gfi outlet is actually over a counter and refrigerator outlet is connected to it.
( there is nothing else plugged into the outlets only the fridge)

oh and yes this has been this way for years .. and two refrigerators )  :)

Offline tgoods

• Technician
If the refrigerator outlet is on the end of the run, it would be easy to make it non-GFCI. If it's not at the end of the run, you could still disable it but all of the outlets on the other side will also be disabled. If none of those outlets are next to the sink, it wouldn't be a problem. A GFCI outlet is to prevent electrocution if you drop a small appliance into a sink full of water. There's not much chance of that happening with a refrigerator. Personally, I would never run fridge on a GFCI circuit, even if it meant I had to run a new cable from the panel.

Offline domain

• Technician
Agreed! Do you have any reason why it's acting up now for them after years of no problems?

Offline briand212

• VIP Member
actually it never worked very well for years.. sometimes it would work.. other times the ice maker would randomly quit working.
we are gettting ready to sell the house so I wanted it fixed .. 

after the upgrade kit was put in.. it worked perfectly for about a week then the gfci outlet started popping