Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Frigidaire ice maker not filling with water  (Read 2720 times)

Offline mstanczyc

• VIP Member
Frigidaire ice maker not filling with water
« on: January 11, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »

My ice maker is not functioning. I am getting water at the door dispenser with good pressure. I manually advanced the harvest cycle and it seemed to do a full 360 degree cycle, but no water could be observed or heard filling the tray. Is there a solenoid or shutoff for water that is specific to the icemaker? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Frigidaire ice maker not filling with water
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »
Force it again to see if it fills. Some times they don't fill first time around. which indicates possible issue with icemaker, on a forced harvest. When was the last time the filter was changed?
If you are not getting it to fill you will need to check to see if you are getting voltage down at the fill valve. Please post a model number to be sure.... But, most likely it will be the green plug if it is a three valve water valve.
To check voltage, force a harvest and put your meter leads in to the plug and see if it sends 120vac to the valve when it calls to fill.
If you have 120vac at the valve you most likely have an issue with the valve. But, Frigidaire has had issues with some of the ice makers malfunctioning. So there may still be an issue with the ice maker.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:16:45 AM »
Post your complete model number.

Offline mstanczyc

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »
Ran it through another harvest cycle still no water. Model # FRS26KF5CB1. The fridge is about 10 years old an I have not had the problem before. Getting good water pressure at the door dispenser.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 09:55:17 AM »
Filter should not matter if you are getting good pressure to the door I would believe. Frigidaire valves are wired weird so you may not see the full 120 Vac to the valve for IM. You can ohm them all out. The pilot valve should be fine since you can get water from dispensor.

Offline mstanczyc

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 11:22:05 AM »
So I checked for voltage at the ice maker valve as it cycled through the harvest cycle and saw nothing. So can I assume it is the icemaker itself? It looks like there may be some parts in the ice maker assembly (mold temp sensor) that are available separately, but it would seem to make sense to replace the whole thing anyway as it is 10+ years old or is it worth doing more troubleshooting?

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 11:24:40 AM »
I think you are correct

Offline mstanczyc

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 12:31:12 PM »
As a last ditch test, before ordering a new icemaker, I tried something I saw on another forum. I took the wires from the door dispenser valve and connected it to the ice maker valve. I then pushed the water dispenser in and I should have gotten water flow to the ice maker. I did not get any flow, so it appeared the problem was not with the ice maker unit and I need to brush up on electrical testing skills. I then disconnected the water line where it feeds into the ice maker near the top/back of the fridge and tried it again - got water! Turns out the fitting was frozen. I had read that this may be a source of the problem, but could see no issues from the front. A hair dryer, a straw to blow into the fitting and 5 minutes later, Bingo, back in business. Apparently the water flow was not as good as I thought it was. Going to replace the water filter before I reinstalling the ice maker. Just a note if you are going to try something similar. I also read that the light switch for the freezer also functions to prevent the ice and water dispenser from working while the door is open, so I taped it over so it thought the door was closed. Live and learn........Thanks for all the help.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 12:44:16 PM »
Yes! That's what keith was heading for! If pressure to frigde is ok, and filter ok, the valve may be allowing a seep which freezes

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
Yup weeping water valve. Which I go back to my org post when was the last time the filter was changed?  Even with good flow it can cause just enough reduced pressure to not allow the valve to close fully. Which in turn causes water to weep past the silonoide and freeze in the fill tube.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:16:17 PM by keithvibe »

Frigidaire- Ice maker & water dispensing from door randomly

Started by andersonjoy

Replies: 1
Views: 6032
Last post December 26, 2008, 03:23:41 PM
by Repair-man
GE fridge ice maker won't stop filling with water and overflows into bin

Started by Washaman

Replies: 11
Views: 2329
Last post January 11, 2015, 09:59:51 AM