Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kitchenaid KUDS30FXSS1 Control Panel Doesn't Respond  (Read 2191 times)

Offline zimbodeux

• VIP Member
Kitchenaid KUDS30FXSS1 Control Panel Doesn't Respond
« on: January 04, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »

We just bought a house with this 2012 dishwasher in it. The buttons were mildly unresponsive at first and eventually it stopped responding all together. I flipped the breaker, sometimes it helped, sometimes not. For a little while it would beep 6 times or so after pressing a button and then nothing. Then it stopped everything.

Fastforward a month hand washing, I put the stainless outer panel back on (had removed it in case it was something obvious) and the controls lit up and the dishwasher worked! The lights on the panel clearly weren't working correctly, but the buttons responded and the cycles worked. Awesome. Then yesterday it stopped. No response from buttons, 2 lights on on the control panel, but that's it. Nada.

My question... Should I get someone to come look at it ($80-$300 w/parts) or buy a new dishwasher ($500-600)? I'm torn because this one isn't that old and probably just needs a new control panel(?) and it was originally a $1k dishwasher, but a new one is a new one. (I'd love to fix it myself but I don't know a thing about dishwashers or troubleshooting them)

Thanks

Offline andyf80

• Technician
Re: Kitchenaid KUDS30FXSS1 Control Panel Doesn't Respond
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »
Hi Zimbodeux,
It doesn't sound like a control issue to me - it sounds like the touch panel is either shorted out or has a bad connection to the main board.

There should be a test procedure on how to narrow this down contained in your machine's tech sheet. This is probably located either behind the main kick plate at the bottom/front of your dishwasher.

However, first you may try gaining access to the back of the control board where the keypad plugs in at. Try unplugging the connector (or ribbon cable?) to see if there is any corrosion on the connector or plug in.
If it's a ribbon style connector be sure not to yank on that. There will be clips on the sides that you must lift up on before pulling the cable out.

Let us know what you find there.

Thanks

Offline zimbodeux

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 02:15:18 PM »
Thanks andyf80!

Well, I checked behind the kick panel and tech sheet was gone  :P

Then I removed the stainless panel and checked all the connections I could find. Nothing looked corroded or damaged in any way :( Made sure everything was firmly back in place. Still only the "Hi-Temp Scrub" and "Cancel/Drain" lights are on on the control panel. Flipped the breaker off/on. Still unresponsive.

Offline andyf80

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:21:44 PM »
Hey Zimbodeux,
You've either got a bad board or bad keypad. I strongly suspect the keypad.

The test procedure (located in your stolen tech sheet...shameful) involves testing continuity between two connection points on the ribbon cable when a key is depressed (see link). You need 5 hands to accomplish this test so an extra helper or clip leads for your meter are super helpful.

I couldn't find your exact tech sheet, but one very similar to your's has this info that would probably work for your dishwasher.

If the keypad doesn't show continuity between the two points on the ribbon cable when the button is pushed, you know the keypad is faulty.

Let me know if you have any questions.

ribbon cable test info

Offline zimbodeux

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:44:50 PM »
Thanks andyf80! I'll see what I can figure out.