Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: WM2277HW getting loud  (Read 4560 times)

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
WM2277HW getting loud
« on: December 08, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »

We have an LG model WM2277HW that has suddenly started to get pretty loud during the spin cycle. I realize that this is probably the bearings going bad. I manually checked to see if there was any up down movement between the drum and tub and found none. It does however feel kind of rough when you rotate the drum by hand. I am planning on attempting to tear it down and replace the bearings and seal . I will also replace the seal between the two tub halves at that time to insure no leaks. My question is should I go ahead and replace the spider assembly while I am in there doing all of this work? How often do you see these that need changed out on this machine? We are on a well with water that seems to be kind of hard on aluminum parts. I would hate to tear this thing apart and not have the parts to finish the job. Any tips on making this job easier would be appreciated.

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: WM2277HW getting loud
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:11:30 AM »
At the beginning stages of bearing wear, the symptoms would be a loud roar when spinning and not necessarily side to side play. You are on the correct track with replacing the outer tub halve seal, I always find the glued seam of it and place at top of washer vs the bottom. There are a few concerns with the spider. One, is it seized tight against the bearings which would require you to beat it out and possibly mushroom the end of axle. You can remove the rotor BOLT (17mm) and push forward on the shaft to see if it is free or not. In my experience, they either slide forward with nearly zero effort or require a BFH(thor) to remove thus ruining the end (I didnt take precaution not to ruin). 2nd concern is the integrity of the spider. I would turn the tub every 30 degrees or so on a full revolution or two and pull up hard from the 6 o clock position to check for cracks. Last concern would be the ability to remove the 6 or so spider to tub bolts without snapping them. If you do snap them you need new bolts and to drill them down far enough to pop the spider off. As a pro, these jobs get quoted a rear outer tub WITH bearings and a new inner tub (Lifetime warranty on part providing POP and finding an ASC) to ensure proper repair without hangup.

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:20:46 AM »
Thanks Domain, I am almost inclined to just junk the machine with that many potential problems. We purchased it in 05 and it has really been a pretty good unit. Any suggestions on an equivalent current model number LG that you like? Thanks again, Jim

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »
WM3470

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »
Domain, That model number appears to be discontinued by LG and not available in my area.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »
3570 now :cheers:

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 06:07:23 PM »
Domain, If you go with the rear outer tub now it is a different part and you have to do the stator and rotor as well! Guess that prices this fix as not cost effective in any way. Thanks for the model number info.

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 06:14:07 PM »
Well I spoke with a parts vendor and was quoted 140.00 shipped for spider, bearings, and seals. I was also told I could send back anything I don't need or everything if I can't get it apart! All I have to do is pay the return shipping. So I think I am going to order the parts and have the wife get all caught up on her washing and go for it. Domain, I can see why when they are serviced they would order the tub and bearings complete if it is a flat rate job. I hope that with plenty of time and some PB Blaster I can get the old bearings out, we will see.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 11:44:27 PM »
Best of luck! :cheers:

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 10:31:10 AM »
Well Domain you were spot on with your assessment. The shaft on the spider was seized up in the front bearing so badly that I damaged the tub trying to pound it out! I was given conflicting information from several suppliers regarding the rear tub assay. Some say you can reuse the old stator and rotor others say you can't. Do you happen to know which is correct? Both say there is no longer any heat shield used. Thanks, Jim

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 05:58:42 PM »
I'm not sure. They cross and change parts very often

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 05:19:13 PM »
Well I called LG to get an answer on wether or not the stator and rotor would work with the current version of the tub. They sent my call to their east coast parts center. They looked up the part for my washer and gave me the same part number that I was getting the mixed info on. I asked if there were any notations in their data about changing any other parts and they said no. I installed there part and the stator bolts right up, the new part has no heat shield and no holes to mount one. The position of the stator is rotated about 20 degrees clockwise but the pins  and bolt holes align perfectly. The unit seems to be operating properly, I would just like to know if anyone else has done this repair and seen this same thing. Thanks, Jim

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 05:43:19 PM »
Ah the big silver pizza pan behind rotor?

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
Yeah that thing! It is said to be a heat shield but it looks more like what they used to support the stator on the old design. The machine bolts for the stator screwed into threaded holes in the pan. The pan attached to the old tub with a ton of screws into holes in the plastic tub. The new tub has metal threaded inserts molded into the plastic tub for the stator. The frame of the stator is plastic so I seriously doubt it was a heat shield unless I am missing something here.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 05:54:24 PM »
<<< I would just like to know if anyone else has done this repair and seen this same thing. >>>

If the original STATOR and ROTOR are transplanted from the old Rear Tub Assy---all's well.

The LG Service Bulletin simply notes that---in addition to a re-designed Rear Tub Assy---the STATOR and ROTOR has been re-designed as well.

The original and newer STATOR and ROTOR are *not* interchangeable.

This means that---if for any reason that the original STATOR or ROTOR needs to be replaced---both *must* be replaced as a set.

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »
They even state that the metal pan is no longer made. So I guess the only real difference other than that is the fact the stator is rotated 15 to 20 degrees clockwise now. I really don't see how that could affect the operation of the machine in any way. What do you think?

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »
<<< I would just like to know if anyone else has done this repair and seen this same thing. >>>

If the original STATOR and ROTOR are transplanted from the old Rear Tub Assy---all's well.

**********THANK YOU JOHN!!! That is exactly the information I was looking for!

The LG Service Bulletin simply notes that---in addition to a re-designed Rear Tub Assy---the STATOR and ROTOR has been re-designed as well.

This means that---if for any reason that the original STATOR or ROTOR needs to be replaced---both *must* be replaced as a set.

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 05:59:22 PM »
THANK YOU JOHN!!!!!!!! :cheers:  That is exactly the information I was looking for !