Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: GE top load washer, no motor inverter light  (Read 7583 times)

Offline meilrich

• VIP Member
GE top load washer, no motor inverter light
« on: November 22, 2014, 02:48:14 PM »

Hi,

I have a GE Washer Model # WHRE5550K2WW. It will not spin or agitate. Could see no error code light at all. I diagnosed a bad fuse and replaced it. So, now I have:

- STILL no inverter light at all, red or green. This is a 2010 model, but has no flap for the LED on the side of the motor, so I'm guessing it should be green.
 - I now have continuity on that fused circuit, and my multi-meter reads 120 V line voltage to the inverter board.
 - The lid switch also has continuity - no problem there.
 - The shifter coil reads roughly 65 ohms.
 - I have cleared any error codes using the "power-off, wait 30 seconds, power-on, open lid 7 times in 12 seconds" method. No help, no error light.

It sounds like we're talking bad motor, right? I just want to confirm before spending a bunch of $$ for new motor...

Many thanks - your site has been VERY helpful!

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: GE top load washer, no motor inverter light
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 04:40:37 PM »
That's would I would assume. Hopefully someone has some better insight

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 05:06:11 PM »
The LED Light is located on the upper right side of Inverter Motor.
Run the Washer on Drain/Spin (or Spin Only) Cycle with front panel removed and look at the LED Light when it's suppose to spin.

If no light and your getting power to the Motor but not to the Shifter Coil then most likely the Motor (p/n WH20X10076).
Visit the following site for additional help regarding the Inverter Motor
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/GE-washer-repair.html

If you order the Motor from the following site and it doesn't resolve your issue then you can return it for a full refund
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ge-motor-inverter-electr-wh20x10076-ap4536553.html
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:07:09 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline meilrich

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:12:23 AM »
OK. Did as you suggested. No spin, no agitation, no noise, no motor movement, no LED indicator light. So, I removed the darn motor (actually fairly easy), pulled off the PC board - and guess what? NO LED ON THE PC BOARD.

I'm attaching pics in case I've somehow gone blind, along with the model tag on the lid, but I don't see it, . Evidently they made a board without any indicator lights??? (the yellow blob on the top and front view, behind one of the transistor cooling fins, is a ceramic capacitor)

Anyway, sadly, I can see no popped electrolytic capacitors, burned resistors, burned motor windings or other obvious or fixable problems on the PC board or motor. I'm guessing one of the eight power transistors that I can see must've died. Too bad.

I'll be ordering a new motor tomorrow (yikes) :(

Offline meilrich

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:41:53 AM »
OK - just had another thought. Assuming someone at the factory forgot to solder on the LED indicator (BTW, we bought this washer and a dryer new, from our local Sears store), perhaps the motor and board look pristine because they ARE. What other possibilities should I consider, absent an LED indicator?

Remember:
 - the Line fuse WAS burned out. Anyone know the fuse amperage rating?
 - the motor and inverter board look fine.
 - the motor spins easily and cleanly, no rough spots or grinding
 - ditto the tub (before I removed the motor). Belt also looks great (some slight wear)
 - I can successfully enter the Field Service mode using the Selector knob, and I can actuate the pump, water valve solenoids and the like. Of course, nothing happens when I enter the test modes for a) slow agitate, b) fast agitate, or c) spin. Does this mean I can rule out the Control Circuit board?

I'm going to bed - it's 11:30 and my wife knows we'll be doing the laundromat routine for another weekend, anyway. :)

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »
If you have Status LED Lights (located by the Big Cycle Knob) on the Washer then were they blinking/flashing during the Agitate/Wash and/or Spin Mode?
If yes, which Status Lights were flashing?
Also, were you getting power/voltage to the Motor when it was in the Agitate/Wash and Spin Mode?
Your washer was either made in March 1998 or March 2010.  If 1998 then I would replace it with a Whirlpool/Maytag/Kenmore Topload Washer that has the Agitator and Rotary Dial Knob's.

The Inverter Motor, Electronic Control Board and Mode Shifter can go bad on the GE Washer.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:02:52 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline meilrich

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply, rockinrobin.

I'm assuming you're asking about Status LED lights when running the washer in Normal mode (as opposed to Field Service mode). No flashing LEDs during those cycles - just solid On (lit) LEDs. And yes, I was getting power (line voltage) to the board.

You are correct! We bought this washer in March 2010. Shame to have the motor go out after less than 5 years.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:01:51 PM by dab147315 »

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »
The following info. may be listed in your Tech Sheet.
You can ohm out the Shifter - Check the resistance value (Ohm's) of the Mode Shifter and not continuity. The resistance should be 98 Ohms at room temperature of 77 degrees.
You will also want to test the Inverter Motor for voltage. The voltage readings should be as follows:
Note: All electrical testing is done at motor harness plug's (C2 Pin 1 = Ground & C2 Pin 3 = Nuetral)
C2 Pin 5 to Pin 3 = 120 VAC
C2 Pin 6 to Pin 3 = 120 VAC with lid switch closed
C7 Pin 1 to Pin 2 = 135 VDC**
C7 Pin 1 to Pin 2 = 30 VDC**
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 1 = 0 VDC*
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 2 = 0 VDC*
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 3 = 12 VDC*
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 4 = 12 VDC*
* Place washer in field service mode spin test (Knob Position 9). If 12 VDC is present at specified pins, main control is OK.  If motor runs in spin test then Inverter Motor and wiring harness are OK.
** 135 VDC is present for approximately 15 seconds at the beginning of the agitate program. 30 VDC is present during the remainder of the agitate cycle. Caution: If the Mode Shifter Coil is open then C7 Pin 1 to Pin 2 can measure as high as 300 VDC.

Test MAIN CONTROL BOARD
Voltage readings in field service mode - Agitate low test (Knob Position 6):
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 1 = 12 VDC
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 2 = 12 VDC
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 3 = 0 VDC
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 4 = 0 VDC
Voltage readings in field service mode - Agitate high test (Knob Position 7):
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 1 = 12 VDC
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 2 = 0 VDC
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 3 = 12 VDC
C4 Pin 5 to Pin 4 = 0 VDC
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:07:16 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline meilrich

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
Thanks rockinrobin.

I'll out the motor back in and check the readings.
As I mentioned, the shifter coil reads 65 ohms - not 98. Can't imagine that would make a difference, though, with a coil.

Have you ever seen an inverter board without a LED, like mine?

GE top load washer, cant find motor inverter light

Started by ilc_kelli

Replies: 5
Views: 7323
Last post May 05, 2011, 08:19:10 AM
by ryan111
Frigidaire Front Load Washer - Tumble Action Washers with AC Drive Motor Service

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5078
Last post January 10, 2009, 09:55:36 AM
by AJ
Maytag Top-Load Washer - Smoking Motor

Started by Dennis M

Replies: 12
Views: 16519
Last post April 18, 2009, 05:45:12 PM
by JWWebster
134743500 Frigidaire Front Load Washer Motor Control Board