Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Fluid on the panel in the blower chamber  (Read 3249 times)

Offline jrandallc

• VIP Member
Fluid on the panel in the blower chamber
« on: November 19, 2014, 08:06:29 AM »

I was checking the filters in my furnaces last night and noticed a fluid leak on the floor panel of one of the furnaces in the blower chamber. Any ideas on exactly where this would be coming from? The other furnace showed no leaks. This is on a Rheem 80PS05EAR01 Upflow Furnace 50k BTU.

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
Re: Fluid on the panel in the blower chamber
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »
is it water?

Offline jrandallc

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:27:09 AM »
It didn't seem like water. It seems more greasy/oily and I would think water would have evaporated away. I may lay a few small bowls around to see if I can pinpoint the exact spot of the drip and also collect some of the fluid to analyze it better. 

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »
not much with fluid in a gas furnace. i am assuming gas .  only oil would be in blower motor.  has it been serviced lately and too much oil put into blower motor bushings and it is dripping. if it is water it would have to be condensation or a drain is plugged

Offline repairsforangels

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »
I agree with Dale, if it's a lubricant the blower motor makes sense.  If it is water - check for plugged/split condensation lines [usually gets plugged at the end at the drain or in the tubing near the draft blower] or I've seen several various issues with humidifiers.  Please note I've seen small water leaks destroy boards.  The blower motor comes on and blows that moisture all around inside that cabinet and it will start shorting things out in a hurry.  The anticipation of waiting for the board to dry out and see if it will continue to function is a killer.