Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Dryer Starting Trouble  (Read 6693 times)

Offline Dalandlord

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Dryer Starting Trouble
« on: November 03, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »

Hi guys, This is my first post on your forum.

I have a whirlpool dryer, I don't have the model number with me but it the old type, top loader electric dryer, I'm guessing it's about a 2005 model.  The dryer began intermittently starting when you pressed the start button, sometimes taking several times pressing the start button before it would start then eventually quit all together.  I checked the door safety switch and thermal fuse and both were good.  I changed the start button switch(3398095) and it made no difference at all.  I then noticed if I I changed the 4 position temperature selector switch (3399640) to it's lowest delicate selection the dryer will start every time.  The dryer is always used on high heat and it doesn't work on the 3 highest settings.  Do you think the temp selector switch is the problem?  The wiring harness has two resistors on the plug and I have no idea how to tell what the resistance is supposed to be but I was thinking if they are crimped into the plug on the harness they must not fail often. 

Any ideas  is greatly appreciated.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
Re: Whirlpool Dryer Starting Trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »
Need Model# that will be printed on white sticker located on front panel (inside the Door).
Possibly the Temperature Switch or Timer but need to find/view the Wiring Diagram for your Model.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 08:12:02 AM »

A top loading dryer???

Offline Dalandlord

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 09:42:08 AM »
 :oops: I must have had a brain fart there.  No it is front dryer for sure.  It's matched with a top load washer.  I must have been in too much of a hurry when I posted.  I'll get that model number in a little while and post it. 

Offline Dalandlord

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »
Need Model# that will be printed on white sticker located on front panel (inside the Door).
Possibly the Temperature Switch or Timer but need to find/view the Wiring Diagram for your Model.

Whirlpool Electric Dryer MOD WED5600SQ0

Thanks for any help you can give me guys.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:35:07 PM »
Test the Temperature Switch with Digital Multimeter (available at most Hardware Stores).
Before testing, unplug dryer then remove wire harness from switch.  Set meter to 2k Ohm's (upside down horseshoe) and 2 terminal pin's should read 5100 Ohm's and other 2 terminal pin's should read 910 Ohm's (see attached photo).  Move the Dial/Knob to lowest temp setting where you should get a correct reading then move Dial to the highest temp setting to see if you get a reading.
Download the Wiring Diagram at the following site (top one is for electric dryer)
http://www.pwslaundry.com/files/docs/maytag-whirlpool/Service-and-Wiring-8528190-Rev-B.pdf
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 12:52:39 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 03:41:21 PM »
  The temperature switch should have no affect on whether the dryer starts or not. All it does is apply power to the operating thermostat bias heater. You may have a faulty bias heater. Unplug the two violet wires from the operating thermostat located on the blower housing at back of machine and see if it now works ok. You would only have high heat in this condition. The two resistances on the switch are external resistors. You won't read them on the switch with the switch unplugged.

Eric
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:43:24 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 07:18:59 AM »

Saw your post on the other forum. If your dryer starts every time without struggling at all when you have temp switch at lowest setting, then the problem is certainly not the motor as suggested there. You say that if temp switch is set to any position other than lowest setting, the dryer will not start? Does it make any sounds when you do try to start it? This is a real mystery. The temp switch has nothing to do with starting the motor. Never heard of the symptoms your having before.

Eric

Offline Dalandlord

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 12:16:19 PM »

Saw your post on the other forum. If your dryer starts every time without struggling at all when you have temp switch at lowest setting, then the problem is certainly not the motor as suggested there. You say that if temp switch is set to any position other than lowest setting, the dryer will not start? Does it make any sounds when you do try to start it? This is a real mystery. The temp switch has nothing to do with starting the motor. Never heard of the symptoms your having before.

Eric

Thanks Eric, I will check again in a little bit but I think it makes a faint click when I press the button but not from the motor, like from the timer or someplace else.  I will check to be sure my memory is correct.  The motor is certainly not the problem, the thing runs fine, the timer advances everything when set on that lowest delicate setting.  I am going to go check that thermostat bias heater and ohm out the temp switch.  I am also going to bring an infrared thermometer and see what kind of them I am getting with it on the delicate setting.

This damn thing might be blowing on high heat when set to low and I wouldn't know it now.  If it turns out that the thermostat bias heater is bad and it is running on high with the temp switch on low, is there any reason I need to change it if when only uses the dryer on high?  It is a tenant that doesn't have much and the first thing she told me when it worked on low was "If it only worked on high I wouldn't need it fixed because that is the only setting I use."

Any idea on what kind of temps should the dryer be on High and low/delicate?

Thanks

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 01:46:51 PM »

The click you hear is probably the start button relay. The start button has an integral relay that keeps the switch closed after you press the button. This is a really weird problem. It's like somebody crossed a couple wires between the thermal fuse and the operating thermostat, which are right next to each other. The thermal fuse should have two blue wires on it, the operating thermostat has two violet wires, a red wire and a red/white wire. Another possibility is two wires got switched at the timer. The timer BU terminal should have two blue wires and a tan or black wire going to the timer motor. The V terminal should have two violet wires. Check all these and make sure nothing got swapped.

Dryer exhaust temp with no wet clothes in the drum should be around 140-150 at high temp and 120-130 at lowest temp. The other two settings obviously somewhere in between those. I know I said you may have a faulty bias heater in the op thermostat but I was just grasping trying to figure out how you could have these symptoms. It really makes no sense unless something is hooked up wrong.

Eric

Offline Dalandlord

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 04:18:35 PM »

The click you hear is probably the start button relay. The start button has an integral relay that keeps the switch closed after you press the button. This is a really weird problem. It's like somebody crossed a couple wires between the thermal fuse and the operating thermostat, which are right next to each other. The thermal fuse should have two blue wires on it, the operating thermostat has two violet wires, a red wire and a red/white wire. Another possibility is two wires got switched at the timer. The timer BU terminal should have two blue wires and a tan or black wire going to the timer motor. The V terminal should have two violet wires. Check all these and make sure nothing got swapped.

Dryer exhaust temp with no wet clothes in the drum should be around 140-150 at high temp and 120-130 at lowest temp. The other two settings obviously somewhere in between those. I know I said you may have a faulty bias heater in the op thermostat but I was just grasping trying to figure out how you could have these symptoms. It really makes no sense unless something is hooked up wrong.

Eric

The click was my Imagination, it was just the noise of me pressing the button. 

The thermal fuse should have two blue wires on it, the operating thermostat has two violet wires, a red wire and a red/white wire.

All of these were correct.

Another possibility is two wires got switched at the timer. The timer BU terminal should have two blue wires and a tan or black wire going to the timer motor. The V terminal should have two violet wires. Check all these and make sure nothing got swapped.

All of these are correct and I looked at every wire on the timer and they are all as marked.  My tenant tells me no one else looked at the dryer but me and frankly, there is no one else in the household who would look at it.

Dryer exhaust temp with no wet clothes in the drum should be around 140-150 at high temp and 120-130 at lowest temp.

The exhaust temp is 155ish so the dryer is running on high when it will run on with the selector on the lowest setting if that is any clue. 

I am also going to post what I found about the selector switch as an answer to RockinRobin so please read that as well.

Thanks

Offline Dalandlord

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »
Test the Temperature Switch with Digital Multimeter (available at most Hardware Stores).
Before testing, unplug dryer then remove wire harness from switch.  Set meter to 2k Ohm's (upside down horseshoe) and 2 terminal pin's should read 5100 Ohm's and other 2 terminal pin's should read 910 Ohm's (see attached photo).  Move the Dial/Knob to lowest temp setting where you should get a correct reading then move Dial to the highest temp setting to see if you get a reading.
Download the Wiring Diagram at the following site (top one is for electric dryer)
http://www.pwslaundry.com/files/docs/maytag-whirlpool/Service-and-Wiring-8528190-Rev-B.pdf

The Switch does not give me ohm reading when it is unplugged from the dryer harness, it reads either open or closed.  But it looks to me that it depends on the resistors that are crimped into the wiring harness to get the resistance.  So I tested it with the switch plugged into the wiring harness and the dryer itself unplugged.  What I got was the following with the switch on each position:

High:   Open
Med:    5.98 K Ohms
Low     904 Ohms
X Low: .1 Which is what I think is 0 as the meter reads .1 when you short the leads. 

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 04:45:34 PM »
  Those are all correct readings. It does look like there may be a problem with the operating thermostat. Disconnect the two violet wires and check resistance across those terminals on the thermostat. Should be somewhere between 5600 and 8400 ohms. When temp switch is at lowest setting, full 120vac is applied to the thermostat bias heater (that's the 5600-8400 ohm resistor inside the operating thermostat).  This heats up the thermostat so it should open early during the normal cycle causing dryer temp to be lower. When temp switch is set to high, the switch is open and no voltage is applied to the bias heater. In the other two settings, one or both resistors are placed in series with the bias heater to reduce the voltage to the bias heater. None of this should have any affect on the motor circuit. Strangest thing I've seen lately. Monitor the voltage to ground at the timer BU terminal while trying to start dryer at different temp settings.

Eric
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:48:09 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline Dalandlord

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 11:07:16 PM »
I'll check that out in the morning and let you know what I find. I REALLY appreciate your patience and help with this thing.  I sure seem to run into my share of the odd ball stuff. 

Thanks

Offline Dalandlord

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 12:22:55 PM »
Eric this thing gets stranger by the day.  I told her it was okay to use the dryer last night just leave the switch on extra low and know it would be running on high.  The dryer is definitely running on high when the switch in extra low.  She used it last night and this morning to catch up on laundry.

This morning  I checked the thermostat with the two violet leads off.  I got 7.09k ohms.  I plugged the wires  back in and plugged the dryer back in and went about checking power on the BU at the timer.   Get this, the dryer now starts on extra low, low and medium just not high! :o So either something happened by running it for several loads or by checking the thermostat and reseating the leads it starts on all positions but high and nearest I can tell it is running on high.  I didn't check exhaust temp. 

BU has 121v and drops to 117.7v on extra low, low and med. I am assuming this is normal voltage drop under load.  When I put it on high and press the start button,  it drops to .021v.

One more thing if this helps, I tried the drier on several different things and noticed it does not run when the timer points to "Cool Down" in any cycle.  It did run on the air only cycle and I don't think it was heating.  But any time that switch is on high it doesn't start at all. 

God bless you guys that do this every day. 
Thanks again

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 03:39:25 PM »
  Will the dryer start with the temp switch unplugged? If not, I think you have a faulty timer. To verify, unplug dryer, disconnect the brown wire (goes to timer motor), from the timer BU terminal, disconnect black wire from BK and plug it into that BU terminal. Plug dryer back in and see if it will start ok on all heat settings. Dryer will not heat when hooked up this way but will verify faulty timer. If you buy timer from APP, you will have it in a day or two and it can be returned if it doesn't fix the problem.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-timer-60-hz-3979617-ap3136147.html

Eric
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:52:29 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline Dalandlord

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »
  Will the dryer start with the temp switch unplugged? If not, I think you have a faulty timer. To verify, unplug dryer, disconnect the brown wire (goes to timer motor), from the timer BU terminal, disconnect black wire from BK and plug it into that BU terminal. Plug dryer back in and see if it will start ok on all heat settings. Dryer will not heat when hooked up this way but will verify faulty timer. If you buy timer from APP, you will have it in a day or two and it can be returned if it doesn't fix the problem.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-timer-60-hz-3979617-ap3136147.html

Eric

I'll check that out in the morning and let you know.  Being able to return an electrical part if it doesn't fix it sounds damn good to me. 

Thanks again

Offline Dalandlord

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »

Eric

:thanks: Looks like we have a bad timer. Being able to return an electrical part sounds GREAT to me.  Hell I could have sent back the start button that was about $40 if I would have known that.  They will get the business for sure.  No one local will take back an electrical part and some of the new appliances with PCB's can get quite expensive to be ordering if there is a chance it won't fix them.   I'll order one as soon as she has the money and will see what happens.   

Thanks again

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:32:04 PM by Dalandlord »