Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Tappan gas range broiler not working  (Read 2735 times)

Offline deweydomer

• VIP Member
Tappan gas range broiler not working
« on: October 28, 2014, 06:40:19 PM »

Tappan model 36-3692-2301, twenty years old.
Broiler will not light, gas valve will not open. From everything I have read, all recommendations are to replace the ignitor.  I did that, and the new one measures 3.2 amps when glowing, so that all should be good. However, the gas valve still does not open. I checked the ohm value on the gas valve, both the bake and broil sides, and they both measure 1.4 ohms. From what I've read, that is what they should measure. So, I'm stuck. I thought the valve is maybe bad, but with a correct ohm measurement, maybe not.
The bake side of the gas valve works fine. Is it possible for the valve to be bad, even if the ohm measurement is OK?  Is there anything else that could be bad that I have not checked?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Joey_Bullock

• VIP Member
Re: Tappan gas range broiler not working
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:23:01 PM »
Replace the igniter.  They will glow and current will flow but it's not enough current flow to open the gas valve consistently or not at all.  Most of the time, your have the same igniter on the bake and broiler circuit.  Take a look at your range and if they are the same, swap them around and see if the broiler works.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Offline deweydomer

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:23:52 PM »
As stated, I already replaced the igniter, with no luck.
Have since found out that the problem was a clogged orifice. Not something one would tend to look for, but I'll bet I'm not the first one to have had this problem.

Offline Joey_Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:33:14 AM »
Oops.  Sorry that I overlooked that you replaced the igniter.  What did you find clogging the orifice?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2