Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool dryer centrifical switch alert  (Read 6498 times)

Offline go400

• Technician
Whirlpool dryer centrifical switch alert
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:20:31 AM »

Working on a Whirlpool Duet dryer, no heat, sometimes pops the breaker. Found an open around the heater, motor area. Checked motor switch, seemed ok.
 Put it back together, still didn't work and customer couldn't afford a new motor which I suspected was bad.
  Took apart the slim, black plastic centrifical switch, compared it to an old one. The factory left out the coil spring that puts pressure on the heater contacts. Apparently,
 the leaf spring that keeps the contacts closed deteriorated after years of use. Added a spring, fixed problem. One more way to cheapen production costs, but cause problems later!

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Whirlpool dryer centrifical switch alert
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:00:37 PM »
Found many a motors like that,  it's not only Whirlpool. My guess is that those Centrifical Arms either break off or snap due to thin metal fabrication defect, too much tension on the spring or could it be the Dryer gets dropped and the motor takes the brunt of the force. Replaced many on LG's, Samsung and Whirlpools. The Dead give away is the tension spring found inside the dryer cabinet. I don't know which is worse - The lack of paint inside the dryer or cheap (cost cutting) parts to save a couple bucks?????

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:42:20 AM »
Thought I would send you exactly what to look for as I described in my earlier post. Spring on Centrifical Switch on motor fell off from arm snapping. Check out the BEFORE and AFTER pictures and how to fix.

[attachment auto deleted after 5 years by admin]

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:43:22 AM »
Notice the arm on the switch has snapped off

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »
I drilled a 1/16" hole in the Aluminum Arm and threaded the one end of the Spring into the Centrifical Arm and hooked the other on the post that Originally snapped off.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »
This is the finished product after attaching the spring to the Centrifical Arm. Now the Dryer Motor will start and work PERFECTLY. Prior to repair the Dryer would not start, it would just sit there and HUMMM. This could possibly save you from replacing the motor and save you anywhere from $59. to $ 150. for a new motor.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 08:57:53 AM »
Another possible issue would be there is NO HEAT due to the contacts not making up for Heating Element circuit. This was fixed on a Kenmore Elite GAS Dryer (made by Whirlpool).

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »
  Nice fix. The problem is that the spring is made of stainless steel and the centrifugal mechanism is made of aluminum and the steel slowly cuts its way through the aluminum every time the motor starts/stops, as you can see happening in this photo.

Eric

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:36:18 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline j_d_

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 03:14:33 AM »
Ok here goes this is what I found wrong with my Kenmore Dryer 110 64112200 would not heat correctly and we quit using it (Clothes Line). All these different forums and sites say You need a motor. I found

http://www.repairclinic.com/

is a great resource for Troubleshooting, Repair and parts. Alternating Current Squirrel cage motors are very robust and unless locked up or a open wire coil they work, now that being said the Bottom wire on My motor plug is Red and is connecting L1 and L2 to turn on the Heating Element when the Centrifugal Motor switch is Released because the motor is up to Speed (Turning the Drum) I removed the Motor and opened the black Plug on the Motor the Switchable Contacts inside for the Heater element on the Bottom plug pin were fused together. This Condition caused my Heater Element to come on As Soon As I Plugged the Dryer in, caused the timer to tick and it also caused the motor to hum upon pushing the start Button and me having to help the motor start (Spin the Drum By Hand). The Motor would let the Drum stop as soon as the you put any clothes in the drum. The Reason is because since the Red Heater Element Wire Contacts were Welded together in the Motor Plug, when the Centrifugal switch on the motor shaft would release the switch it could not close the contacts for the Motor START Capacitor (the reason that the motors Hums, it can't start). Without the Start Capacitor the AC Motor can not start so it just hums unless you help it. Now also since I Broke the Fused contacts apart again the Motor can start and I Can not stop the Drum Motor Works Fine and the Heater element works Fine. Just some Information the Motor Centrifugal (Fly Weights) Switch is a Double Gang Switch so the motor can start, come up to speed and at the same time Close the Heater Element circuit. Hope this helps Somebody. Myself I can't see spending $82.85 for a motor I don't really need.  Glad You were Looking out for this Customer.

Posted on Nov 10, 2014

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 01:22:34 PM »

You shouldn't get heat just by plugging the dryer in if motor heat circuit switch is stuck closed unless the timer is not in the OFF position, timer is bad or heat element is grounded. Depends on dryer model as to whether timer will advance from OFF with motor heat circuit switch stuck closed. FYI, start capacitors are not used in these dryers.

Eric