Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Won't drain  (Read 2350 times)

Offline pcgondreau

• VIP Member
Won't drain
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:35:51 AM »

I have an old Maytag dishwasher--not sure how old, but at least 16 years old. Don't know the model number. But it won't drain. Any clues as to what may be wrong/how to fix it?

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Won't drain
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 01:13:15 PM »
Hard to be specific without the model number.

Offline pcgondreau

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 09:46:44 AM »
Okay, I've got the model #: DWU7802AAM (Serial # is 31733408SB).

FYI, there is no cancel/drain button or feature on this model.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »
This model has a reversing motor and a two chamber pump. It turns one direction and the upper section is turning in the right direction to recirculate water for washing. Then the timer stops and makes the motor go in the other direction. Now the bottom impeller is turning in the right direction to pump the water out. This is a pretty reliable pump. I would check the drain lines for blockages first.

Offline pcgondreau

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:45:21 AM »
Okay. Thanks for that. I checked the drain tube, and so far as I can tell it's fine. It does go into the garbage disposal. I just turned on the garbage disposal to empty anything in it. Can I turn on the dishwasher? I'm worried about the dishwasher filling with water that will all come out if it's not draining properly when I open it up. If I can turn on the dishwasher, should I just put it on rinse, since I just want to see if it's draining?

Offline pcgondreau

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 01:12:35 PM »
Okay, Bailey, I went ahead and turned it on rinse, and it drained immediately. I don't know where the blockage was; must've been what was in the garbage disposal, since when I ran the disposal there was stuff in there. In any event, case solved. Thanks, Bailey.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »
Glad you got it to work. When the drain line leaves the disposal, make sure it goes up before going down otherwise all the water that goes into the sink will happily run into the dishwasher. Including ground up food which could create a blockage.

Offline pcgondreau

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Bailey. I checked the drain line. It does indeed go the way you say it needs to.

Thanks again.