Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Profile Washer - Can bad cycle switch cause these odd issues?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline nucat91

• VIP Member

I have a GE Profile WPRE6100G0 washer that sort of works perfectly, sometimes.

I ran the service diagnostics and there aren't any obvious issues.

The mechanics all seem fine and when it runs, it runs okay (other than the fact that I'd like for it to let me run the hot as hot as I'd like).

The issues are that it seems to just stop at random times, mostly it seems during the fill cycle, but at other times as well.

I took apart the control panel and unplugged and replugged all the connectors, blew out any dust and checked that there was no oxidation in any of the circuitry.

The reason I ask about the cycle selector switch is because it will sometimes jump from the info it should be reading to some different output, as if a different cycle was selected. And I even noticed that at one point during a fill cycle there was a combination of a number along with the normal rotational output indicating the fill cycle.

The only thing I can think to do is to replace the circuit board, but I don't know if this will fix the problem or not. Is it worth a shot just to try it? 

Any advice is much appreciated.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
Re: GE Profile Washer - Can bad cycle switch cause these odd issues?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:40:35 PM »
When it doesn't work properly then I would remove the Front Panel (see GE Washer Disassembly Video minute mark 1:12) and view the LED Light above Motor on Right Side to see how many times it flashes (flashes then will pause and flash again) then reply back with number of flashes.
Pic of Motor with Circuit Board on Top http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ge-motor-inverter-electr-wh20x10058-ap4536552.html

http://youtu.be/II_p8j-RSWU

Offline nucat91

• VIP Member
Re: GE Profile Washer - Can bad cycle switch cause these odd issues?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:32:06 AM »
Rockinrobin,

I thank you for the response, but since I posted the problem it hasn't happened again.

I had actually purchased a control board off of ebay after not seeing a response for a while (and your response was literally about 20 minutes after I bought it).

I had taken the circuit board out, cleaned it with a soft brush (even though it didn't look dirty or oxidized) and re plugged all the connectors. Since that time it's worked on 3 different loads.

The hot water was also extremely slow so I cleaned the filter. It didn't look dirty at all, but for whatever reason the hot water comes out much faster now.

I'm no electronics engineer, but it just seems odd to me that what I did fixed the problems including the hot water flow speed. If I didn't see the digital display jumping around when touching it I might suspect that the slow flow of water caused some type of a timer issue to go off and caused the washer to just quit in the fill cycle. It still wouldn't account for it quitting during the rinse (that wasn't dependent on the hot water fill) or other times.

So... I have no idea what the deal was, but for the moment it's working properly... which is the first time in a few years I can say that. 

If the problems return I'll do the procedure you requested for sure.

Thanks again.

And for the moment I'm just going to hold onto the board I bought in case I end up needing it.