Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Electric Dryer Heating elements stay on with door open  (Read 7239 times)

Offline mike5306

• VIP Member
GE Electric Dryer Heating elements stay on with door open
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:57:57 PM »

I restrung heating elements for my GE Electric Dryer DRSR495EG4WW.  But after reassembly, the heating elements remain charged and glowing after I open the door (although the motor stops).  Not with heat selection on "Fluff" (no heat), or anywhere on the timer when the heat would not normally be on (cool down, etc.).  It's not on when the timer is in any of the off positions, and if I let the cycle run all the way through it shuts off.   I've gone back to the elements and they are not touching, not touching the frame, show infinity between both coils and the heat deflector and frame.  Resistance across the coils is 19.2 ohms on each.  All four of the thermostats check OK.

To me, it sounds like I've managed to fry the centrifugal switch on the motor.  Am I thinking correctly, and is there a way to free it up if I've managed to get it locked in the closed position?  I hate to trash the dryer after 7 or 8 years, but at that age I also don't want to invest $250 in a new motor. 

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
Re: GE Electric Dryer Heating elements stay on with door open
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:25:07 AM »

Motor switch contacts for heat circuit must be stuck closed. Verify by unplugging motor connector and turn timer on heat mode. If no heat now, then stuck switch. Don't know if you can get into that switch or not. Worth a try.

Eric

Offline mike5306

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:08:15 AM »
Thanks; I'd just like to verify that's the problem and if I can't get it unstuck, order a new motor.  I don't want to order one and then find out it's something else.

I don't do this every day.  By "motor connector", do you mean the wiring harness to the motor or the purple feed line from the motor switch to the heating elements? 

It looks like there's one leg of the 240 (black) to the second terminal on the motor and the purple feed to the heating element is on the first terminal.  If the switch is closed, wouldn't there be continuity between the two terminals on the motor?  There's no resistance between them, and to me that says the switch is closed (power is off, of course, and with the motor still switch should be open). 

If this isn't a valid check, I'll do the motor connector, but need to know what it is.   

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 09:42:29 AM »

Yes, unplug the motor wiring harness connector from the motor. If the heat still comes on, then one of the elements must be grounded or the purple wire that runs from the elements to the motor connector is grounded somewhere along the run. Sounds like the motor switch is ok if your reading no resistance (infinity). That means the switch is open, not closed. Unplugging the motor harness connector removes the switch from the circuit altogether.

Eric

Offline mike5306

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »
Thanks. Headed out to check it out, and removing the motor from the circuit would appear to be a good way to check everything else.  But I think I have a terminology issue between resistance and conductivity.  I'm reading 0 ohms across M1 and M2 terminals on the motor, which is no resistance across the switch.  In my book, that says it's an closed circuit and the switch is closed.  If it was infinity (zero conductivity), it would be open.  Has terminology changed?  My VOM hasn't, so I think what I'm saying is right for what I'm reading but I may not be expressing it correctly. 

Offline mike5306

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 02:03:51 PM »
No heat without motor, which is as it should be, but that eliminates a grounded element or something else fried in the circuitry as the problem.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
  Yes, the switch is stuck closed. You said it read "no resistance" which threw me off. Zero ohms is considered a resistance value. So, zero ohms = zero resistance = good conductivity = closed circuit. No resistance = infinity = open circuit.

Eric

Offline mike5306

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »
Yep.  That's what I learned when I was 7 years old and it's stuck with me for way too many years.  I appreciate the help; just irritated that the switch portion of the centrifugal switch can't be purchased without the motor.  It appears to be pretty simple, two plastic tabs connected to switches inside the terminal block, but nobody seems to sell it and it's not in any of the GE parts diagrams.   

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 03:02:13 PM »

Yeah, same as Whirlpool dryer motors. They sell replacement switches for their washer motors but not for dryer motors and of course, they are not compatible with each other. You could drill the rivets out and take it apart and maybe get it working again but how long will it last? Most likely, the silver plating on the contacts is toast.

Eric