Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Tromm LE error  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Saint056

• VIP Member
LG Tromm LE error
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:58:30 PM »

I have the same problem.  I first had the LE error and spun the motor by hand and then it worked fine for a while.  Then the bearing failed.  I replace the bearings and seals. I also replaced the hall sensor, since I had it apart anyway. Now the LE error is back.  I homed out the small harness to the motor   It is intact.  But what I have noticed is that there is dried dirty grease everywhere. Can that affect the machine?  Im confused as to what it might be....  Can someone please help?

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: LG Tromm LE error
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 06:30:06 PM »
Should be ok... The harness may ohm ok when static, but when bouncing around when motor is turning may create an open condition

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »
I have the same problem.  I first had the LE error and spun the motor by hand and then it worked fine for a while.  Then the bearing failed.  I replace the bearings and seals. I also replaced the hall sensor, since I had it apart anyway. Now the LE error is back.  I homed out the small harness to the motor   It is intact.  But what I have noticed is that there is dried dirty grease everywhere. Can that affect the machine?  Im confused as to what it might be....  Can someone please help?

Need Model# to assist you (located on dispenser drawer or on front panel inside the door).
If it's related to the Stator or Rotor (check for cracks) then I believe LG offers a 10-Year Warranty on the part only.

Offline Saint056

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The model is a WM2277HW.  I'll also ohm the wires while moving them.  The drum never turns. So no vibration can occur at this point.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The model is a WM2277HW.  I'll also ohm the wires while moving them.  The drum never turns. So no vibration can occur at this point.
Does the basket/drum turn freely both direction's when you rotate it by hand?
If yes, does it make any odd noise while rotating?
If no, use a dry cloth to clean the residue from the Stator (outer edge) and the Rotor magnets.  Check continuity on the Stator and wire harness from Control Board that goes to the Rotor Position Sensor & Stator, check for a loose connection or a broken wire.  Afterwards (if you have continuity), run the Drain/Spin (or Spin Only) to see if basket will spin.
Are you using HE Detergent?
If no, run a Wash Cycle with 2 Cups of Distilled White Vinegar (pour directly into basket/drum) to get rid of any Suds since it could cause the LE Error.
Download the Service/Repair Manual below to assist you with Troubleshooting the LE Error Code
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=17

Offline Saint056

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »
I tested the wiring harness and moved it several times during testing.  And the 3 pins on the motor all ohm out the same.  I've always used HE detergent.  I do not know how to do a rinse cycle only since the motor won't turn on it's own.  I can rotate it by hand, but it won't turn on it's own.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 01:54:12 PM »
I tested the wiring harness and moved it several times during testing.  And the 3 pins on the motor all ohm out the same.  I've always used HE detergent.  I do not know how to do a rinse cycle only since the motor won't turn on it's own.  I can rotate it by hand, but it won't turn on it's own.
Disregard running the Wash or Rinse Cycle since the basket/drum won't spin.
The Spider (mounted on rear of basket) may be cracked/broken which causes the front end of basket to rub against the rubber seal/gasket during spin and causes a burning rubber smell (look at gap between the front end of basket and rubber seal should be even 360 degrees and also look at rear part of rubber seal to see if it's peeled away).
NOTE: See page 19 & 31 (spin trouble) in the Repair Manual to troubleshoot the LE Code.
I believe LG offers a 10-Year Warranty on the Stator and the Basket/Drum or Tub.
If all tests pass then replace the Main Power Board (site below) and if it doesn't resolve your issue then you can return it for a full refund (minus S&H)
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/6871ER1078T/1268505
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:01:29 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 02:23:30 PM »
Look at the Main Power Board (run the Drain/Spin Cycle after starting the LED light on Board should be "ON") and if the board has any burnt marks then replace it.
I would also replace the Motor/Stator Wire Harness for $15 (below) since it may resolve your LE issue.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Wire-Harness/6877ER1016B/1268330

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:34:53 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline Saint056

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »
I'll get the harness.  I checked the spider when I replaced the bearings/seal I bought from this site.  The spider is good.  I did see some "shiny" areas on the magnets, but not rubbed all that much at all.  I'll replace the board next if the harness isn't the culprit.  Thanks

Offline Saint056

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 03:02:46 PM »
Also, where is the LED light?  I assume I need to remove the cover on the board to see it?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:02:59 PM by Saint056 »

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 04:06:59 PM »
Also, where is the LED light?  I assume I need to remove the cover on the board to see it?
See page 23 (no power) on the Repair Manual regarding the Power Control Board LED Light.
If you can't see the LED Light then remove front plastic cover - Unplug washer before removing cover then plug it back in and run the Drain/Spin (or Spin Only) Cycle to see if the LED light stays ON when it's suppose to spin.