Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: What size generator do I need to run my sump pump?  (Read 4412 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
What size generator do I need to run my sump pump?
« on: September 04, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »

I have been looking at buying one of these 2000 watt Honda generators, but I want to make sure it will be big enough to run a sump pump.

Seen one in action and they are very quit and from what I have been told they run a long time on one tank of gas.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i

The Watts Calculator on the Honda site say 1/2 HP sump pump, Starting Wattage: 2150 and Running Wattage: 1050
All the other online watts calculators say much higher then that. Either way it seems like a lot to me, so I bought a watt meter and check myself.

Can't see any starting watts on the meter, but when my 1/2 HP sump pump is running the meter shows less then 800 Watts.

Seems a 2000 Watt generator should be able to handle my one 1/2 HP sump pump just fine.

Like I said I can't see how many watts it takes when starting, but I find it hard to believe it would be twice as much, but even if it twice as many watts that would still be less then 1600 watts.

What do you think?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Re: What size generator do I need to run my sump pump?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
Playing around with my new Watt meter some more. Plugged a counter top microwave into it and when I start the microwave the meter starts beeping and flashing 1874 Watts.

Guessing the starting watts of the microwave maxes the meter out. If that is the case it never did that when my sump pump started so I'm guessing a 2000 Watt generator will run my 1/2 HP sump pump just fine.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 03:05:44 PM »
Well after talking to some more people about it I decided to go with one of these. Hope it's big enough to run my sump pump, lol...

Waiting for the neighbor to come over and help me unload it from the back of my truck. Heavy little bugger.
http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/gp-series/gp6500e

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »
No problem with generator at my home ,we live on a farm and our generator is 75,000 Watt

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »
Wow, why so big?

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 06:49:48 PM »
It's a poultry farm , 2 barns ,  62 fans ,feed augers etc ,...it's so big it will also do the house ,central air ,dryer ,range etc .About two months ago we had a mini tornado go thru and knock the hydro out for 43 hours .Our generator ran full bore ,the amp meter on it said it was supplying about 400 amps .Used about 6 gallons of diesel fuel /hour .  It has a Perkins engine in it .

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »
Wow, that's crazy.