Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag dishwasher with clogged chopper screen  (Read 6038 times)

Offline tagarman

• Technician
Maytag dishwasher with clogged chopper screen
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:56:41 AM »

Hello everyone,  I have run into a Maytag dishwasher, model no: MDB7759AWS0 with serial no: F04510263 that had a issue where the top rack would not clean the glasses good.  I took apart the pump cover and cleaned the chopper screen that was completely blocked with food.  Told the customer to make sure she rinsed off the dishes good before starting the dishwasher & left.  3 weeks later she called back with the same problem, so I returned and again cleaned the chopper screen.  This time I also installed a drain loop in the drain hose under the sink where it hooked up to the disposal.  Guess what?  She now called back again 3-weeks later with the same problem. The chopper assembly is a 4-blade type, not the 2-blade type that the older Kitchen Aids used.  Could this be bad?  Has anyone else run into this before?  I can not keep going over to her house every 3-weeks to clean the screen.  Please help Tom fix this!!

Offline gscrandall

• Technician
Re: Maytag dishwasher with clogged chopper screen
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
Could it be soap and not food clogging it?.  Is there a big old box of cheap soap under her sink?   If so clean out the dw  best you can. Run citric acid cleaner . And advise her to use individual soap packets that don't get old . I like the brand finish. If it's food and you put a loop in drain hose to prevent disposal back up , then she is still not rinsing the food off here dishes. I've run across plenty of lazy people that think the dw has a disposal in it

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:22:07 PM »
Almost every time I've seen a clogged chopper, the chopper was bad.  Only once or twice I've seen the end of the pump stripped so the blade wouldn't turn.
The only difference between the four blade and the two blade is the four blade chopper is supposed to run a little quieter. I never carry a four blade chopper on the truck and have never had a complaint changing to a two blade chopper.

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
It's most definitely is food as I took a pic of it with my phone before cleaning it off the first time.  I also gave her a bottle of Dishwasher Magic to clean out the DW.  I am going back today and will replace the chopper assembly.  We will see what happens and I'll let you all know if it fixes the problem.  She said it has run for years with no problem now all of a sudden this is happening so I think maybe the chopper has failed.  Thanks for all your input.

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 10:10:55 PM »
I 100% copy Tgoods reply!

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 10:19:23 AM »
I had that same problem. Finally noticed the end of the impeller was broken and not engaging the chopper blade, so I too agree with Tgoods.

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 04:48:04 PM »
this problem got so bad the customer started taking it apart and cleaning the screen himself every 3-weeks or so.  They finely bought a new dishwasher so I won't have to deal with this any more.  Never seen this before and hope I don't run into it again.  Thanks for all your help.  Tom

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:58:45 PM »
Never seen this before and hope I don't run into it again.

Really? I like this job.  I always have a chopper on the truck. Clean out the accumulated crap while I'm in there. 15 minutes later I'm on to the next call with a happy customer and a check in my pocket.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:59:20 PM by tgoods »

Online dab147315

• Technician

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 12:57:22 PM »
Why change the check valve as well as the chopper?

Online scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 02:04:15 PM »
Changing the check valve flapper is something some techs do to avoid the possibility of the the check valve swelling out of shape and not sealing. Which can cause poor washability. This was a problem with the early models with this design, but Whirlpool long ago changed the material of the check valve to prevent this. Shouldn't be a problem unless the customer has kind of weird water condition.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 02:19:56 PM »
I have never seen it so thought i should ask.

Offline gscrandall

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 09:38:22 PM »
I never change the check valve. However I always use the 2 blade chopper in place of the 4 blade. The 4 blade seems to jam more often.

Offline appliance_rx

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair Regina
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »
x2 on the check valve not needing service. I have replaced a few and they always looked exactly like the new ones, so gave up and just swap out the chopper and clean the unit.

Bad washing in a dishwasher usually will be one of two things, either it can't spray the water to remove the food (chopper) or it can't get rid of the water that has the food particles in it (drain line / pump).
Appliance RX- Appliance Repair Regina
http://appliancerx.ca