Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: New GE pye model  (Read 1159 times)

Offline aazg4

• Technician
New GE pye model
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:34:57 PM »

From what I gather some of the new GE refrigerators only allow diagnostics via the usb port and I guess a program on a laotop.  I'm wondering what any  of you independent guys think of this and what kind of plans are there to get the software or diagnostic tool for this next round of ge refrigerators.  I have even seen some appliances you put your cell phone up to and a factory service tech can get diagnostics.  I'm just a wondering what steps can be made to keep us from getting locked out or end up shooting in the dark.  Any opinions ions great

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
Re: New GE pye model
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 10:36:37 PM »
Haven't run into that on fridges yet. On the dishwashers you can connect using a network connection for quick and easy diagnostics but you can still enter diagnostic mode without the GE laptop.

Offline Larry the applia

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 06:48:22 PM »
We need to band together and petition are legislature to have a standard like they did with auto makers
Larry Johnson
Shannons Appliance repair
Clarksburg, WV

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Auto manufacturers have a standard test machine? My mechanic uses a Snap on diagnostic computer as the individual auto machines are too much. Even then it doesn't do all of them.

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:49:44 PM »
Sounds like another to keep us on our toes:)

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • My cuss. A LOT.
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:57:30 AM »
It's only a matter of time until they all go bluetooth with their own app that you have to pay $500 for.
LowSL2
18+ Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience
Former $ears/a$e tech

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:11:46 PM »
With the GE Dishwashers you could do a firmware upgrade with the laptop. Without the laptop you'd have to replace the brain FOR TWO HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS! http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ge-kit-mach-ctrl-wd35x10394-ap5672303.html

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 02:49:05 AM »
Frost on back of GE freezer section,   no air blowing through open damper into FF section.........Hmmmm   let me check my laptop and diagnostics to see what is wrong.        Compressor getting very hot,   you hear Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm   CLICK   -     better check laptop.      No ice,   icemaker won't move and has power     Wow   - better hook up to USB port.     

Meaning......... Refrig is a refrig.    90 percent of the problems are still easily diagnosed the same way we always have diagnosed them.       I'm not too worried.      If you have to get a program for laptop,   you'll have to.   But I doubt it in most cases.    On some of the commercial washers I worked on,   I had to go in with a laptop to program and adjust parameters.     Was only way to do it.   Was not that bad.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present