Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Sears (Whirlpool) fridge compressor stopped  (Read 1550 times)

Offline ArdentGuy

• VIP Member
Sears (Whirlpool) fridge compressor stopped
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:31:08 AM »

Sears Refrigerator.  Model number 363.58892891  almost 16 years old
==================================================
The light in freezer went out.  Light in refrigerator was still on.  I checked the freezer light bulb and it was O.K.  Replaced the bulb and it did not come on immediately but did turn on after about 60 seconds.  I don't see how the intermittent freezer light is part of the problem....I just mention it just in case.

After fiddling with the freezer light bulb, I noticed the refrigerator was no longer running.  We unplugged the unit for an hour.  Plugged it back in and still not working.  All lights still have power.  Ice dispenser has power.  Ice dispenser light has blown.  Wife says refrigerator has been running hot for 2-3 days.  Normally heat is dispersed from the right rear of the refrigerator.  Wife says she could feel some heat from the left side for the past 2-3 days.  However, I've been having trouble with the freezer door seal and compressor may have been running longer than normal.  (Small leak at top of door causing small ice build-up along seam.  I need to address this problem in a different post.)

Pulled the following units off of the three (3) prongs of the compressor:

1.  WR8X172  Protector (on the black wire [common] )
2.  WR07X10098  Overload (says Sears)  or Start Relay (says Appliance Part Pros)  (white wire on one side  -- two (2) orange wires on other side)  WR07X10098 doesn't look like any relay I've ever seen.  Since only two (2) terminals are used, how can this be a relay?

ANYWAY......

1.  Both parts look good:  WR8X172  Protector is not blown (0 ohms)     WR07X10098  "Relay" reads 11 to 27 ohms (meter jumps around)
2.  Compress terminal pairs read low ohms ( 2 - 7 - 9 ohms)
3.  Checked for ground on all compressor terminals ( no grounds )
4.  No AC voltage detected on "relay" wires   <---  BIG CLUE HERE

So what do I check next?  And where can I find a wiring diagram for this refrigerator?

Thank you for your assistance.

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
Re: Sears (Whirlpool) fridge compressor stopped
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
are you sure this is not a ge model p/n is not whirlpool        i do not have a wiring diagram, does it have a defrost timer rectangular box with 4 wires.  is the rad underneath plugged up.  looks like your resistance readings are ok.  suspect defrost timer or thermostat that would not allow power to compressor   if it is one of the first with a computer control board on back that is a commen issue with them

Offline ArdentGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 11:30:19 AM »
oops!  You are correct.  This is a GE model.  (363.xxxxxxxx =GE)

I don't know if it has a "defrost timer rectangular box with 4 wires".  Here is  a link to the Sears exploded parts list.  I'm looking for a defrost timer now.

"is the rad underneath plugged up"  -->  I'm sorry but I don't understand "rad" and can you explain "underneath" what?

I don't see a computer control board on the back.....but it's really cramped with "stuff" back there in a very small enclosure so I might have missed it.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:43:12 AM »
item 257 ff section is defrost timer.    rad i spoke about is the condensor andit is at floor level

defrost timers can fail in defrost mode and compressor will not get any power  there will be a screwdriver slot in shaft in about centre of defrost timer and you can advance timer manually to put it back in cool mode if compressor runs get the new defrost timer and install

Offline ArdentGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 04:07:14 PM »
Dale,

Thank you for all your help.  I took a lot of parts off to get to the defrost timer.  Pulled the timer out and measured the resistance on the contacts and the motor.  And that was when I found out how stupid I have been.  The refrigerator was in a defrost cycle when my wife complained that the compressor wasn't running.  So all the checking of overload protection, starting relay, compressor windings, and defrost timer was a waste of time.  If I had waited a half hour for the defrost cycle to end, the unit would have fired right up!

OUCH!

So I actually have no problems now.....except for a seal at the top of the door that isn't a good fit.  (I'll put that in another post later.)

Thanks for working with me.

Sears Whirlpool side by side fridge mfgr in 2000 ice freezes up at bottom of ice

Started by marky

Replies: 14
Views: 13014
Last post September 21, 2014, 01:39:30 AM
by tgoods
Whirlpool fridge compressor

Started by jvh75021

Replies: 5
Views: 6990
Last post November 20, 2009, 10:21:49 AM
by JWWebster
Hard start on compressor stopped working (Whirlpool / Embraco)

Started by Sjado

Replies: 22
Views: 5741
Last post August 30, 2015, 09:15:35 PM
by Appliance Savers
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Refrigerator - Water in bottom of fridge under drawers.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 111653
Last post July 08, 2007, 12:04:06 PM
by curtis
Whirlpool fridge water dispenser

Started by dragonlady74

Replies: 2
Views: 5413
Last post November 12, 2016, 03:12:57 AM
by samuelellison
sears side by side compressor and dryer replacement