Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Bravos X won't spin or agitate correctly  (Read 22401 times)

Offline rossocarne

• VIP Member
Maytag Bravos X won't spin or agitate correctly
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »

I recently noticed my Maytag Bravos X wasn't really putting out clean clothes up to par.  My newborn's diapers were coming out still with poop on them  :tickedoff:

I threw a load in and watched.  Basically once it fills up with the hot cycle, the agitator will start, but the clothes won't agitate. In addition, the spin cycle will start and end really quickly, so everything came out wet.  I took it apart and ran diagnostic, the agitator will spin high and low just fine normally (no load) but once basically anything with weight is put on it (I used a towel) the agitator will slip.  When I ran the spin cycle, the motor starts it a few times but never gets to a very high speed, so no water gets squeezed out.

When I run the diagnostic to get codes, I get:
F7,E1
F0,E5 - very strange, the basket does not shake, especially with no load
F0,E2 - I get this one after running a load too, which is also strange since I use a detergent that doesn't sud at all. This results in multiple rinse cycles  >:(

I took the inner basket out.  There is nothing stuck between the inner and outer baskets.

The washer shifts between spin and agitate correctly.

The agitate cycle also SEEMS audibly louder than I remember.

Any other info I can give please let me know.  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:54:42 PM by rossocarne »

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
Re: Maytag Bravos X won't spin or agitate correctly
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
F7E1 means Basket Speed Sensor Fault: See Test #3a Drive System - Shifter.  You can buy a Digital Multimeter for $10-20 at Hardware Store to test the Shifter/Actuator & Wire Harness from Main Board to Shifter.
I would check movement of Agitator (with top panel lifted) to be sure agitator is rotating both direction's, just run the Manual Mode with Low Agitation Test (lid must be locked before you run this test).  If Agitator only moves one direction (should give an F7E6 - Motor Fault) then check the Capacitor (under Test #3b).
F0E5 means Clothing should be distributed evenly when loading (always load heavier fabrics first and if you only have a wash plate instead of agitator then place fabrics on edge of basket not in the center, specified in your Owner's Manual)
F0E2 - Run an empty wash load with 2 Cups of White Distilled Vinegar (pour into basket not dispenser) to get rid of the Suds issue.
If Vinegar doesn't resolve the F0E2 Code - Drain water from tub 1st then remove pressure hose from main control board and blow through it 5 times to be sure hose isn't plugged from fecal matter on diapers or leaking air (after reconnecting hose you must run a Drain/Spin Cycle).
BTW: Always rinse off diapers with Water Hose (or soak them in a bucket with bleach or vinegar then rinse) before putting in Washer.
NOTE: Always, run the Calibration Mode first after reconnecting wires.
Here's the Repair Manual plus a few video's to assist with troubleshooting and disassembly procedure
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=434

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:09:46 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline rossocarne

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:26:28 PM »
F7E1 means Basket Speed Sensor Fault: See Test #3a Drive System - Shifter.  You can buy a Digital Multimeter for $10-20 at Hardware Store to test the Shifter/Actuator & Wire Harness from Main Board to Shifter.
I would check movement of Agitator (with top panel lifted) to be sure agitator is rotating both direction's, just run the Manual Mode with Low Agitation Test (lid must be locked before you run this test).  If Agitator only moves one direction (should give an F7E6 - Motor Fault) then check the Capacitor (under Test #3b).

The agitator moves easily in both directions IF there is no load.  When I put a heavy enough load (a towel for example) it "slips".  This was confirmed by allowing it to agitate (it ran just fine) and then grabbing it as it was agitating.  A very small exerted force caused it to slip, almost like a belt on a car that is not tight enough or lost all friction. I will actually get this from ONLY testing the spin cycle.  During spin, the machine quickly runs the spinning drive on and off a few times (this may be normal, but I swear it used to be one long WHHHHIRRRRRR!). Then it just fails and stops spinning before reaching a high enough speed or duration of spin to get any water out.

F0E5 means Clothing should be distributed evenly when loading (always load heavier fabrics first and if you only have a wash plate instead of agitator then place fabrics on edge of basket not in the center, specified in your Owner's Manual)

This comes up when its spinning.  It is typically always coupled with the failure to see speed error.

F0E2 - Run an empty wash load with 2 Cups of White Distilled Vinegar (pour into basket not dispenser) to get rid of the Suds issue.
If Vinegar doesn't resolve the F0E2 Code - Drain water from tub 1st then remove pressure hose from main control board and blow through it 5 times to be sure hose isn't plugged from fecal matter on diapers or leaking air (after reconnecting hose you must run a Drain/Spin Cycle).
Cool, hopefully this resolves it.

BTW: Always rinse off diapers with Water Hose (or soak them in a bucket with bleach or vinegar then rinse) before putting in Washer.

The temptation to say "no shit" here is very high  O0

The biggest problem continues to be lack of adequate agitation.  The plate spins freely until any sort of force is placed on it.  The clothes do not move at all.

When I first bought the washer, I always noticed that during agitation, the inside basket would rotate a bit (1/4 to 1/3 of a turn) each time the agitator changed direction, and it no longer does this.  There is no inertia to turn the basket because the agitator simply is not moving with any weight on it.  Are the clothes meant to stay on the outside all the time?  I never worried about carefully placing clothes around the outside before and it always agitated with gusto (I guess stupid me for not reading the manual in depth).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:29:30 PM by rossocarne »

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
It won't spin fast until most of the water is drained or won't spin fast if you have a Suds condition (F0E2 Code - Use 2 Cups Distilled White Vinegar to dissolve the Suds).
Only use HE Liquid Detergent (3 Tablespoons of Regular HE, 2 Tablespoons of Double Strength HE and 1 Tablespoon of Triple Strength HE).
Agitate/Spin Issue when Loaded:

1) Be sure the Nut on the Big Belt Pulley is tight (big pulley is located in center under the Washer, remove belt cover plastic plate to access).  Also, inspect the inside of Belt to see if it the threads are worn.
1a) If the nut is tight and belt looks good then I would remove basket to be sure nothing is stuck between basket & tub (disassembly instruction's listed in the Service Repair Manual).
You may want to use Blue Loc-Tite (available at Hardware Store) on the Nut Threads if it comes loose again.

If you still get the F7E1 after doing above then the Shift Actuator, Wire Harness and other related part's needs to be tested (see the Service Repair Manual).
Owner's Manual says to place fabrics to the edge of basket, not on top of wash plate (don't know why but maybe someone else does).

Let us know if you resolve the issue or have further question's.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:20:00 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline jsparo

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
Hi, 
My Maytag Bravos MVWY700XW1 would not agitate or spin, and the lid lock was flashing, When I ran the diagnostics it displayed fault F7 E1 code, after checking various articles online, I replaced the capacitor which resolved the issue.
I hope this helps.

Offline rossocarne

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 08:57:23 PM »
I tried the couple things mentioned.  The nut on the bottom was tight and the belts were not worn, the whole thing spun very well.  Taking the basket apart also yielded nothing.

So I tried using it for awhile (hence the disappearance) and it's OK, but still not performing superbly well.   :tickedoff:

Here's a symptom that I really hadn't noticed.  The washer goes through the initial detection phase, the whole basket should spin (so it can time how long it takes to stop). When I first start the wash cycle WITH NO CLOTHES the agitator spins wildly, and not so much the basket.  Really almost seems as though the two functions are switched, like the agitator is moving when it's supposed to spin.  Likewise, it seems like this might mean the whole basket is spinning, and not as much the agitator when it ought to be agitating.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:30:46 PM »
I tried the couple things mentioned.  The nut on the bottom was tight and the belts were not worn, the whole thing spun very well.  Taking the basket apart also yielded nothing.

So I tried using it for awhile (hence the disappearance) and it's OK, but still not performing superbly well.   :tickedoff:

Here's a symptom that I really hadn't noticed.  The washer goes through the initial detection phase, the whole basket should spin (so it can time how long it takes to stop). When I first start the wash cycle WITH NO CLOTHES the agitator spins wildly, and not so much the basket.  Really almost seems as though the two functions are switched, like the agitator is moving when it's supposed to spin.  Likewise, it seems like this might mean the whole basket is spinning, and not as much the agitator when it ought to be agitating.

The Agitator (or Wash Plate) should not rotate back and forth during the Spin operation, if it does then you have a bad Transmission/Gearcase.
You never posted the Washer Model# to help find the Part's Diagram
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:38:32 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 03:30:05 AM »
I think it's a vmw....

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
Check the Splutch to see if the Drive Cam Teeth are worn/broken (located above the Big Drive Pulley)
Part & Video at http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Pulley/W10315818/1876553#repairHelpVideoTabs"
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:39:42 AM by rockinrobin »

Offline Huskyman06

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 07:58:52 PM »
Hi,
Our washer recently has not being agitating well, i Will try the vinegar technique but how did you guys find the error codes?

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »
Hi,
Our washer recently has not being agitating well, i Will try the vinegar technique but how did you guys find the error codes?
Need Model# (printed on white sticker located on top panel under the lid) to give instructions on viewing the error codes.
Vinegar is used if it gives a SUDS error code.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 11:37:34 AM »
Hi,
Download the Repair Manual at http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=434 (must login first before downloading)
To reset, rotate the Cycle Knob CCW 360 degrees then steps A thru E must be completed within 6 seconds (washer must be powered off to perform the disgnostic test).
See page 5-2 to access fault/error code's (1st code is the most recent, write them down in order).
Sensing Light ON with other status lights flashing = Fault Code
Sensing Light OFF with other status lights flashing = Error Code
For further assistance or any question's reply with fault/error codes.

Offline rossocarne

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 08:30:23 PM »

The Agitator (or Wash Plate) should not rotate back and forth during the Spin operation, if it does then you have a bad Transmission/Gearcase.
You never posted the Washer Model# to help find the Part's Diagram

This is an mvwx600xwo.

If this is the case, do you believe the transmission is not putting the assembly in the right position to agitate or spin?

If I start without any clothes in it, the agitator plate spins QUICKLY and the sequence trips (red flashing light). During agitate, it doesn't seem to be rotating well.  Almost as though it's in reverse.

ALSO, when the washer is actually in spin cycle, it used to just quickly ramp up.  Now, it has a quick grinding sound that happens for a spit second, three or four times.  The drum will get slightly up to speed, but never nearly fast enough to spin much water out.

So now after four months of sucking this up, I'm really ready to try something new and hopefully fix this.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 02:14:06 PM »
Lift up top panel (use masking/duct tape to secure lid) to view the Wash & Spin Cycle.
If you have a camera then video tape it and upload video to your YouTube channel then reply with YouTube website (URL) address.
During the Wash Cycle the Wash Plate should rotate back & forth but the Basket will rotate/move slightly since this model doesn't have a brake to prevent basket from rotating/moving.
During the Spin Cycle (last 8 minutes) the Basket & Wash Plate should only spin in one direction.
Part Name's & Number's:
Cam Kit p/n W10721967 (located above the transmission pulley - replace if teeth are worn/broken or unit makes a grinding noise during wash cycle)
Drive Hub p/n W10324651 (located under the wash plate & basket - replace if teeth are worn/broken)
Gearcase/Transmission p/n W10330039 (replace if you notice oily residue on any parts mounted under the washer or unit makes a loud grinding/roaring noise during spin cycle)

If you order part's from either website below and it doesn't resolve your issue then you can return it for a full refund (minus S&H)
http://www.appliancepartspros.com (has installation video's on some parts)
http://www.repairclinic.com (has installation video's on some parts)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:16:41 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline rossocarne

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »
Lift up top panel (use masking/duct tape to secure lid) to view the Wash & Spin Cycle.
If you have a camera then video tape it and upload video to your YouTube channel then reply with YouTube website (URL) address.
During the Wash Cycle the Wash Plate should rotate back & forth but the Basket will rotate/move slightly since this model doesn't have a brake to prevent basket from rotating/moving.
During the Spin Cycle (last 8 minutes) the Basket & Wash Plate should only spin in one direction.
Part Name's & Number's:
Cam Kit p/n W10721967 (located above the transmission pulley - replace if teeth are worn/broken or unit makes a grinding noise during wash cycle)
Drive Hub p/n W10324651 (located under the wash plate & basket - replace if teeth are worn/broken)
Gearcase/Transmission p/n W10330039 (replace if you notice oily residue on any parts mounted under the washer or unit makes a loud grinding/roaring noise during spin cycle)

If you order part's from either website below and it doesn't resolve your issue then you can return it for a full refund (minus S&H)

http://youtu.be/0YWU5Oboryw

This shows what happens during normal wash cycle and during drain and spin with no clothes in the washer.  Agitator plate spinning wildly.

This is due to my inaction.  If there's any other video worth shooting let me know and I'll get it up.  Thanks.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 10:35:04 PM »
Part Name's & Number's:

This shows what happens during normal wash cycle and during drain and spin with no clothes in the washer.  Agitator plate spinning wildly.

This is due to my inaction.  If there's any other video worth shooting let me know and I'll get it up.  Thanks.
Are you getting any error/fault code's on the display?
If not, use the Tech Sheet to put in Service/Diagnostic Mode then view the store Codes (list in order 1st Code is the most recent).
I'm thinking it may be the Actuator (Mode Shifter Assembly).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:35:45 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline afterblast

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 11:40:46 PM »
Rosscarne... have you tried taking the agitator plate off and looking at the splines in the bottom? I've seen one or two of these that had no agitation because the plastic splines were severly worn down and not making good contact with the drive shaft below..    if you haven't checked it the way to get the agitator off is to pop the little cap in the center off and then take the bolt out that is underneath.. the splines in the agitator plate should be clearly defined and not rounded down...

Offline clw

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
Rosso Carne:

I have your exact problem now 3 years later.  Your video shows exactly what my Maytag Bravos X, is doing.

Was the problem ever isolated?  I replaced the actuator last night, didn't help.  I do get the F7E1 code.  It fails on step 12 of the auto diagnostic test.

Weak agitation and aborts the spin cycle after a few attempts to spool up the basket.

We're having fun now...

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:31:32 AM by clw »

Offline LeRayParateur

• VIP Member
    • Réparation d'électroménagers à Trois-Rivières, Bécancour, Nicolet, Shawinigan
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 12:34:22 AM »
I usually keep a shift actuator (the red one, as the black ones don't seem to fail as much) that I know is working properly on hand, for all cases where the washer makes an F7E1 code. Or just flashes the 'lid lock' light at the sensing portion of the cycle. Surprisingly, the Drain & Spin cycle works with a failed shifter on some models.

Although not on the same model as the initial post, in the few cases where there was an F7E1 code and the shifter wasn't to blame, I found the Drive hub (W10528947) had damaged splines so the speed of the basket couldn't follow the ramp up of the motor.

If spin works well but not the agitation, check the agitator's splines for damage.

A bad capacitor often results in humming motor, capacitor is easy to test by itself. You shall also check for continuity of all wires between PCB and motor, sometimes the conductor is damaged but not the insulation around the wire.

_________
Réparateur Électroménagers

Offline clw

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »
 :cheers:
I think you nailed it.  The plastic (GRRR) drive hub was stripped.  New part will go in tonight.

The washplate was a bear to remove.   :tickedoff:  Thinking I should dab a bit of silicone grease on the splines for next time.

Thanks for the advice.