Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Loud evaporator, not loud evaporator fan  (Read 747 times)

Offline aazg4

• Technician
Loud evaporator, not loud evaporator fan
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »

In the past I mainly worked on washers and dryers in a shop.  I am doing service now on used appliances.  Covering the warranty.  I have worked on a fair share of refrigerators, just not the sealed system.  Question?  I had an  older top and bottom refrigerator that was iced up. After I manually defrosted it with a hair dryer I found a clogged drain.  I noticed as  I was putting it all back together.  I thought it was the evaporator fan so I stopped it. That's when I noticed the evaporator itself was loud.  Making a noise.  Only thing I can imagine is the system was overcharged in the shop and what I am hearing is liquid Freon going through the  evaporator coil.  I guess the noise resembled a small stream flowing.  Any ideas on what  I'm hearing????

Offline Larry the applia

• Technician
Re: Loud evaporator, not loud evaporator fan
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »
Freon hiss if cooling ok would not be concerned. 
Larry Johnson
Shannons Appliance repair
Clarksburg, WV

Offline aazg4

• Technician
Re: Loud evaporator, not loud evaporator fan
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:17:02 PM »
Thank you just never heard one this loud