Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: 1992 model NPADE29AB03 Tempstar(mfd. by ICP) shutting down  (Read 18625 times)

Offline thatsnotwhatyurmothersaid

• VIP Member
Re: 1992 model NPADE29AB03 Tempstar(mfd. by ICP) shutting down
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 12:02:59 PM »

John, I'm going to try and be as succinct as I can, but don't hold me to that. I've been up all night, and, well, you get the idea.

On my t'stat, reading from left to right, the terminals read B, O, G, Y, W, not used, R, RC. The wires had labels from the old t'stat, which was already installed when we moved in here, so I went by those labels when installing the new one. There is some kind of "jumper" across B and O. It looks like 2 very small metal pins joined together. NO WIRES are in those 2 terminals, just the jumper. I also found a very small jumper that looks as though it is made from a very small piece of wire, between R,(the white wire is there, with a "W" label), and RC, (red wire). THAT'S kind of perplexing to me..why would a jumper be there...between R and RC, and a different colored wire in each spot? Anyway, I twisted R, Y, and G together, as you said, however, the wire colors at those 3 terminals are WHITE (R), BLUE (Y), AND GREEN (G), RESPECTIVELY. Again, I went by the labels from the previous t'stat install. After twisting them together, and with the contactor plunger NOT HELD IN BY MY LITTLE ZIP TIE SLIVER, I APPLIED THE 240V. NOTHING. I looked the whole thing over. The VIOLET "low side" transformer wire is wire nutted to one of the 2 YELLOW CONTACTOR COIL WIRES, the BLUE "low side" transformer wire, wire nutted to the WHITE THERMOSTAT WIRE, THAT LEADS TO THE "R" TERMINAL ON THE WALL PLATE. The OTHER YELLOW COIL WIRE IS WIRE NUTTED TO THE RED T'STAT WIRE, LEADING TO THE "RC" ON THE WALL PLATE, AND OUTSIDE, THE GREEN, YELLOW, AND BLUE T'STAT WIRES ARE UNUSED...JUST WRAPPED AROUND THEIR CASING...RED AND WHITE BEING THE ONLY ONES USED AT THE UNIT.

Well, here we go. It's 11:25am. I was outside, letting one of my dogs back inside to eat, and WE heard ( he is shellshocked, so he jumped pretty good ) A LOUD POP.  Immediately, I KNEW it came from the A/C. Down the steps, ran over and cut the power. SEE FURTHER, WHAT'S TYPED BELOW WAS HERE.

Well,  I just lost an entire paragraph. These are close to the exact words I was writing when I lost it. My keyboard and screen cursor have a mind of their own, subsequently, it can take me upwards of three hours to get an email this size to finally type in, spelled at least close to correctly, and finally sent.  Enough about that.

It was 11:20 when I was outside, to let one of my dogs back in to eat, when WE heard a loud POP ( he is shell-shocked, so he jumped pretty good). Immediately, I KNEW it came from the A/C. I ran and cut the power, and FOR THE FIRST TIME, I ACTUALLY SMELLED SOMETHING. Smoke was coming from the transformer. I don't know exactly what was wrong with it before, but it's for dead certain now,  FOR STARTERS, IT NEEDS A NEW TRANSFORMER.

This is news that I thought you should know pronto. Man, I've been up all night, AGAIN, screwing with this piece of CRAP. And THAT'S JUST THIS DAMN COMPUTER!!!!!!!!

I'll surely have more, and I'm sorry the delay. I saw that you were wanting to be updated ASAP, but I'm going at a pace that is necessary. I'm only 56, but I am disabled, and things like this WEAR ME OUT BAD! (SEE LAST SENTENCE OF PREVIOUS PARAGRAPH).

So, I'll be in touch constantly, as often as I can, you know. We're as broke as convicts, and we need a 30 or 40 dollar transformer, at the very least, just so we won't have to do without the A/C. It's now close to noon. No sleep, a smoked transformer, and no A/C for who the hell knows how long. THANK GOD IT ISN'T SCORCHING HOT TODAY. 15 or so degrees cooler than normal, and cloudy...overcast.   

John, this is a copied and pasted email to another John at another online forum, that is helping me to try and get this over with. It's now 1 o'clock Tuesday. 

I made some videos. The files are very large. How can I get them to you. email me                   

More later,
Tommy

Offline tch_tech

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 05:08:22 PM »
Please clarify. I don`t see in the previous threads anyone commenting on the indoor thermostat wires.

If your control transformer is now "smoked", it must be replaced.

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »
Yes I need a new transformer, and I've found out that the t'stat wires are connected at the wrong terminals on the wall plate. Iu have to move them. I will post again in an hour or two. I am  going to have to get a few things that I need to continue with the repair. I WILL BE BACK IN TOUCH ON THIS THREAD ASAP. Thanks for the reply, John. More in just a little while.

Offline dab147315

• Technician

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 09:16:42 PM »
R U saying that the John from THIS SITE  is the same John @the forum that you supplied the link to? Does he live in Texas, or do U know?

Offline tch_tech

• Technician
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »
Who is John?

Be careful. If your AC worked proir to the contactor and the transformer failing, the tstat wires may not be an issue. AC installers have been known NOT to wire by color code. 

Offline tch_tech

• Technician

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 11:10:10 PM »
What do you call yourself at the DIY forum? I'm trying to determine if you are the same person that I've been  talking to there. ???

Offline tch_tech

• Technician
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »
What do you call yourself at the DIY forum? I'm trying to determine if you are the same person that I've been  talking to there. ???

If this question is directed at me, I do not belong to the DIY forum.

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »
So when this "dab 147315" posts to me and says, "he has been posting here too", and posts a link to a DIY forum page, to whom is he referring? When you reply to dab and say, "thanks dab, why would you thank him for giving me a link to another online forum that you say you do not belong to? What kind of twisted logic is that? What could I possibly be missing here?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
Sir there is no twisted logic there.I do not belong to that site either and was just googling your model air conditioner and that web site came up.I gave that information to tch-tech and others on are site to help you with your problem as he and other Tech  on are web site could see what you are being told to do and what you did.It all about helping you out. And you seem to be on other web sites that your are confuse about which site reply back to you that all Sir.

• VIP Member
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 03:12:42 PM »
OK. So when you posted, and said "he is posting here too", the "he" you were referring to, was me? I think I have it now. If this is the case, accept my apologies for the misunderstanding. Please feel. free to post to acknowledge whether I'm correct. Sorry.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »
Yes Sir you are correct.Hope you get that A/C fix.

Offline tch_tech

• Technician
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »
So when this "dab 147315" posts to me and says, "he has been posting here too", and posts a link to a DIY forum page, to whom is he referring? When you reply to dab and say, "thanks dab, why would you thank him for giving me a link to another online forum that you say you do not belong to? What kind of twisted logic is that? What could I possibly be missing here?

Dab147315 posted that link to help clear up the confusion to your long reply to "john @ the diy forum", about the indoor tstat wiring. I did not see anyone with a "john" avatar replying in this thread. It's obvious that you are confused as to which forums you are posting in.

I was thanking dab for bringing that to the attention of this thread, to help clear up the confusion. Nothing twisted about that.

Replacing the transformer will most likely fix your problem. Good luck with the repair of your AC.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:37:21 PM by tch_tech »

• VIP Member
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 01:00:59 AM »
Sir, you are correct and incorrect. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any "John" in this thread. Agreed. Inasmuch as my "confusion", there is none. Further, every e-mail notification I have received from appliancejunk.com, alerting me to another reply from tch_tech, has had the address "email address removed". ???

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 06:58:08 AM »
You are confused, lol...

BTW: I removed my email address you posted in your last post as I get enough spam with out having my email address posted out in public like that. Thanks for understanding.

Yes, my name is John and I'm the owner of this website. The email notifications you have been receiving alerting you to a new reply to your topic come from me. Well them types of emails are all sent out automatically but they do come from a real persons email account. :)

The forum has been set up that way since the beginning, about 7 years now.

Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion.