Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: VMW washers  (Read 11403 times)

Offline gregaguilar

• Technician
Re: VMW washers
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »

Someone wanted me to let them know how to disassemble the vmw tranny and i am sorry but was out of pocket but here we go now. JDM shows u all except how to take the top bearing off and the seam sleeve. On his third image it shows a ring that needs to come off the bottom of the bottom half of the tranny, then slide the trannylower half off. Now the upper half has the bearing and the seal sleeve on it. What i did is that i took a screww driver and took the sleeve that holds the ball bearings together on top and on lower side of the bearing , the little balls will fall off then you can take the upper part of the tranny off. Now you have the shaft the bearing collor and the seal sleeve on the shaft still attached to it. What i did was laid the bearing sleeve on a slege hammer and hit it with another hammer to break it off, so now you might end with half of the bearing collor or it will come off completely, better to have half still on there that way when you are removing the seal sleeve it will help when you take a long flat blade screww driver and hit it to slide it off the shaft. First you need to clean the shaft with a wire brush so that it is very very clean so the seal sleeve can slide off easy. Then to assemble it is very easy I used 1/4 x 1/2 bolts, all 12 of them. DO NOT HAMMER THE TIN PART OF THE TRANNY CAUSE IT WILL WARP AND THEN U HAVE TO DISCARD IT. OH HERE IS A WEBSITE YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT. IT IS IN SPANISH BUT IF YOU DONT KNOW THE LANGUAGE YOU CAN SEE HOW IT IS DONE, VERY INTERESTING.(COMO DESARMAR TRANSMISION LAVADORA AMOZOMAS Y CAMBIAR BALEROS)

Offline Kevdesh4

• VIP Member
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2018, 08:35:06 AM »
Hopefully somebody sees this.  Im having the worst time trying to get that collar off the upper portion.  Am I missing something?  I cleaned it with a wire brush hit the opposite side of the shaft with a soft hammer and it doesnt budge.  Im going to soak it in penetrator.  Is thier any trick to this?

Offline Jdm

• Technician
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2018, 08:57:15 AM »
Photo of the collar your talking about
It's not the legacy you leave, it's the lives you impact

Offline Jdm

• Technician
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2018, 08:57:50 AM »
Photo of the collar

Offline Kevdesh4

• VIP Member
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2018, 09:01:37 AM »
That one sits on the very top

Offline Kevdesh4

• VIP Member
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2018, 09:06:34 AM »
Do I just need to heat the top of the tin assembly and beat it out with a mallet?  I guess I would still have the collar being stuck on the shaft problem if I did that. The only difference is the shaft would be out of the casing.

Offline Kevdesh4

• VIP Member
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2018, 09:27:11 AM »
Got it out of the casing now how do I get that off?

Offline OMG

• Technician
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2018, 08:57:38 PM »
You go to make a YouTube video on this.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2018, 12:27:56 AM »
That bearing is not coming off. The new commercial transmissions have been redesigned. It has the same stainless steel collar but it's installed the other way around with the Tee above the tub seal. Now the tub seal is not replaceable either. I think their reasoning is the hat over the seal with keep the grit out. They also added a weep hole in the case above the bearing. I think the whole transmission washer should be redesigned. Drop the transmission an inch and add a slinger, problem solved.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2018, 09:58:54 AM »
So the bearing is a 6006-2RS (R. - Rubber S. - Seal)

Can you post the seal number?

Offline Jdm

• Technician
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2018, 10:11:48 AM »
W10324647

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »
Can anyone tell me the part number for the tub seal on these washers? Everyone I ask days it's not available, it's part of the gearcase.

Thanks in advance.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2018, 11:16:16 AM »
W10324647 Is this what you are looking for.

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2018, 09:23:21 AM »
Thank all who contributed to this thread so far. I have a vmw gearcase with a leaking reduction gearbox. The oil is leaking around the center shaft and has found its way into the splutch pulley, belt, and everywhere it could sling. Is the oil seal inside a common part, or is it obtainable?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:24:37 AM by jeff5may »

Offline noyesappliancerepair

• Technician
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2018, 07:53:09 PM »
i just replace the whole gear case cheaper and faster and done and move on to next job

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2018, 01:34:47 AM »
Just send me your gear cases you swap out. Just leave them whole. 5 bucks plus shipping cost. 5 bucks sounds nearly worthless, right?

Offline gdecedue

• VIP Member
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2018, 08:41:33 PM »
Is there a chance we can get a parts list you change . I change a few a week most are from leakin oil or squeeling bearings . I rarely change actuators unless i get a speed fault
I do the splutch with the gearcase swap . .
I.am the only guy at the shop that will change bearings on any washer i find it easier than the tub job .which the guys all do.

Offline holdridgeent

• VIP Member
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2019, 05:45:56 PM »
In my opinion Tapered roller bearings should be used. Regular ball bearings are not suitable for axial loads. I think the Cabrio could benefit from this quite a bit. I hate how whirlpool kicked off this crappy appliance trend e have seen for last 15 years.

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »
i just replace the whole gear case cheaper and faster and done and move on to next job

Hahahaha funny.

No really, it's 400 days old.

That's what everyone else said before I found this thread. If Whirlpool would pay for parts and labor for the swap for years 2 through 5 of the gearcase warranty, I wouldn't mind. But as authorized service dealers know, the minimum amount out of pocket for a customer beyond a year of ownership is going to approach the price of the gearcase itself. WAAAY more than the 20 dollar (MSRP) tub seal and (premium) top bearing cost. Value minded folks are liable to find the two for under 10 bucks with free shipping and some super lube.