Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag motor smoking up the basement  (Read 2082 times)

Offline close77

• VIP Member
Maytag motor smoking up the basement
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:04:46 AM »

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could lend some solid advice. I have a Maytag washer that is about 8 years old. I think I paid about $400 for it at the time. Yesterday while doing a small load of wash it filled with water but it never went into the spin cycle and it wouldn't drain. Also there was a very strong smoke smell lingering in the air when I went to check on the load. I manually drained the washer, popped off the front panel and removed the belt. When I plugged the washer back in and tried the spin cycle the motor just hummed for a few seconds and then started smoking. I'm guessing the motor is shot. Could it possibly be anything else?

I didn't spend much time looking for a new motor but the initial prices I came across were quite expensive (around $200). That's too expensive given the age and price of the washer. Is this even worth pursuing? Perhaps a used motor off Ebay or something? Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
Re: Maytag motor smoking up the basement
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
  Can you rotate the motor pulley freely by hand? If not, motor is shot but if you can, problem may be motor, motor switch or timer. What is the model number of the washer?

Eric
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:29:08 AM by fairbank56 »

Offline close77

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:59 AM »
Thanks Eric. I checked and the motor pulley will not turn by hand. Looks like I have a giant paperweight. It's a Maytag MAY208DAWW.

-Chris
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:55:53 AM by close77 »

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 09:17:54 AM »
Was the belt off when you tried to turn the pulley?

Offline close77

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »
Yes, I removed the belt. When I had the belt off I put it on the spin cycle and the motor just hummed and smoked.

-Chris