Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: lg wm1814cw oe error code  (Read 12447 times)

Offline DMark

• VIP Member
lg wm1814cw oe error code
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »

Hello our washer is showing an oe error code.  We changed out the drain pump, checked the filter on the bottom (which was clean).  When it gets to the point of the drain the oe code still shows.  I am able to push it thru by doing a spin only which a tech once showed me.  Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?  Thanks!

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: lg wm1814cw oe error code
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 12:31:56 AM »
<<<our washer is showing an oe error code>>>

<<<We changed out the drain pump>>>

<<<oe code still shows>>>

Verify that the correct Drain Motor has been installed (4681EA2001T)

Standing at the front of the washer---the Drain Motor is located on the *left* side of the Pump Housing.

On the right side of the Pump Housing---is the Recirculation Motor---which uses a different/slower motor and is NOT interchangeable with the Drain Motor on the left side.

Offline DMark

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 08:40:35 AM »
Hello John and thank you for your reply.  I double checked the item number on the part and it is the correct part number and was installed in the right place.  So it has a new pump but is not draining. 

I was once told by a tech how to do a spin only and this is the only way I can get it moving once the oe code pops up.  Every time it gets to the last 15-18 minutes of the cycle, I have to do this to cause it to drain/spin:  Power off then on, Press the rinse button then the spin button, then start button, when I hear it begin to drain I press pause, then for 1 second power off, then power on, press spin speed on high and then start. 

This will cause it to drain and then spin.  Any suggestions?  What are the reasons other than already mentioned that can cause an oe code to popup?

Thank you kindly for your time.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:51:33 PM »
Press and hold the SPIN SPEED and SOIL LEVEL buttons

Press the POWER button and release all 3 buttons

Wait until the door locks (single click sound)

Press the START/PAUSE button once

This activates the test mode for *tumble* and *drain*

Is the Drain Motor running?   (or at least buzzing)

Offline DMark

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 09:19:05 AM »
Hello John,

I tried what you said.  The door locked, the drain process activated and the spinning began.

What gets me is on Friday, after my last post to you, I was able to wash about 6 loads without the oe showing up and then on the last load it popped up again.  Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your time.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »
Remove the top cover (2 lower phillips screw at the back of the cover/slide rearward about an inch and lift off)

Locate the Water Level Sensor---has a small black tube attached to it. On your washer---if I recall---it is located on the right side.

Pull off the black tube and blow into the tube---in the direction of the tub.

If there's a partial block---this will clear it.

Reconnect and test washer

This sensor "tells" the Main Board *when* the tub has drained all of the wash water. At which point---the "command" is given to begin the spin cycle.

A partial blockage can cause false data (lack of a signal)---which would cause the Main Board *not* to allow the spin cycle to begin

After a few minutes of extended drain motor operation---an "OE" error will be displayed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:05:17 AM by john63 »

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:58:34 AM »
This will sound nasty and it is....
Remove the drain line from the stand pipe. Put your hand around the drain line and blow down through the drain. Do you hear bubbling in the tub (with water in the tub)? If you don't hear bubbling you have a blockage. Remove the pump to stand pipe check for abstruction. Remove the tub to pump hose check for abstructions. Also as already suggested check the pressure switch hose for blockage.
Run it completely through dignostic. Make sure everything else checks out.
I had an LG that I chased for a week that gave the OE code. After checking all the above I ran dignostic testing three times and found interm issues with the main control board because after testing high speed spin while waiting for the rpm's to drop so the water valves can turn on the drain pump turned on twice (not supposed to do that)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:00:39 PM by keithvibe »

Offline DMark

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
Ok did it and bubbles came out thru the tub.  Since I blew thru the small hose I now hear a whistling sound when the water is filling up.  Any suggestions?  The oe problem is intermittent as some times the cycle completes without an error code and sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks again for your time.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
 When you run a dignostic and it gets to the fill valve section. Tell us what the display says. Should be 61-65 and as the water enters the tub that number should decrease. If it doesn't the pressure switch is bad.
If that checks out then you are most likely looking at a new main board.

Offline DMark

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 05:21:22 PM »
How do I run a diagnostic?

Thanks!

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:11:02 PM by keithvibe »

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »
 <<< Since I blew thru the small hose I now hear a whistling sound when the water is filling up. >>>

Not related.

Turn off the hot & cold water spigots---remove both water hoses from the washer water valves.

Check the screens in the water valves---if "dirty"---clean any sediment from the screens with a small brush and rinse with a spray bottle (of water).

Test the washer with laundry a few loads.

It is not necessary to run *all* the diagnostics steps---a waste of diagnostic time/effort.

Water Level Sensors virtually never fail in the LG front load washers.

Keep focused on the possibility of a blocked air tube to the Water Level Sensor (test loads will determine).

If the "OE" error returns---next step is to measure voltage at the Drain Motor during *forced drain mode*---but---let's cross that bridge when we get to it---if we need to :)

Offline Nordie

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
Hi we have similar issue, getting error code OE, LG WM1814W. I pulled the drain motor and bench testes, it ran fine with 120vac connected. We ran diagnostics and are getting code IH:61. Took all hoses off, drain from tub to motor and drain motor to house drain, no blockages. Checked water level sensor tube, it was clear .  Any suggestions? Thanks