Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool washer will not spin unless cycle is interrupted  (Read 2138 times)

Offline jfw0928

• VIP Member
Whirlpool washer will not spin unless cycle is interrupted
« on: July 15, 2014, 05:09:14 PM »

ThinTwin combo unit model #LTE5243DQA.

Fills and agitates normally. Just after agitating and just before rinse, machine drains and immediately begins to make a continuous clicking noise. It drains completely but does not spin unless I either open and close the lid or push the timer dial in and pull back out. I can see the motor coupler spinning during this time. BTW, I do wait a full 3 minutes from the beginning of the drain phase before I interrupt the cycle. Once the lid is open and closed or the timer dial pushed in and pulled out, the machine immediately begins to spin as expected.

Note - I replaced the gear case on this machine because it sounded horrible (like gears were stripped) during all cycle stages. Replacing the gear case took care of the noise but it still would not spin. So, I replaced both the drive block and the clutch assembly. Still will not spin unless interrupted.

I'm now suspecting the timer. Any other ideas?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:11:07 PM by jfw0928 »

Offline nolling43

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool washer will not spin unless cycle is interrupted
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »
TIMER . . . . . . . .

Offline jfw0928

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool washer will not spin unless cycle is interrupted
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:19:29 PM »
Update.

I did replace the timer and the machine is functioning fine.
Thank you Nolling43.