Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE top loading machine, noisy with excessive movement of tub  (Read 4692 times)

Offline yorkville

• VIP Member

I have a 10 year old GE top loading washer (WBSR3140D5WW). It is very noisy during both washing and spinning cycles, even though it gets the job done. The tub seems to be very loose when I try to push it around by hand. I wonder if its caused by worn damping straps. I took off the front and top covers, and removed one of the straps (pic attached). It looks ok to me and I am not sure how stretchy it supposed to be or what a worn damping strap looks like. Any thoughts?

Offline Odyssey31

• Technician
Re: GE top loading machine, noisy with excessive movement of tub
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
Where is the noise coming from? Take off the front panel and see if you can isolate the noise.

Offline yorkville

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
As far as I can tell, the noise is due to the entire tub assembly moving around very loosely.  The tub is not moving so much that it is banging on anything.

Offline Odyssey31

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
Sounds like the suspension rods may need to be replaced, pretty easy fix. But, I would definitely take off the front panel (use a putty knife and depress two tabs underneath top panel) and see what condition rods are in. Then run a cycle and see if any other part could be making that noise. That transmission/mode shifter can fail causing noises and vibrations, too.

Not sure how helpful that is, but hopefully you can get a better idea of what needs to be replaced.

Offline yorkville

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »
I have the front panel off. what signs do I look for to see if suspension rods are in good shape or not?

Offline Odyssey31

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 01:40:32 AM »
See if any rods are bent, or have been displaced from where they attach at the bottom of the tub. Also, push down on the top of the tub and shake it around...if it feels like there is little resistance, replace the rods.

Offline yorkville

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »
I ran a load of laundry with the front cover off.

The first video was during the washing phase (where the agitator going back and forth). This is the part where it gets really noisy. Is the outside tub supposed to move this much during this phase?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_P5wejREFE

The second video was during the spinning cycle. I think the noise level is reasonable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2a_lo5IjcQ

Anything look out of ordinary here?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:38:58 PM by yorkville »

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »
   Perfectly normal operation as far as tub movement but does sound a bit too noisy. Sounds like the motor going to me but hard to tell without being there to hear it closer.

Eric
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:19:15 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline yorkville

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:15:37 PM »
Thanks, Fairbank. What should I troubleshoot next?

Here is a video of me moving the tub by hand from the top. It seems there is a lot of freeplay, is this normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDZl_Nu8oEA

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:18:22 PM by yorkville »