Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: 2004 Frigidaire Laundry Centre transmission leak  (Read 5472 times)

Offline sharcman

• VIP Member
2004 Frigidaire Laundry Centre transmission leak
« on: June 30, 2014, 02:51:30 AM »

I have a squeal during a spin cycle. When I stop it, let it sit for a while it goes away. I found a drain plug and yellow discolouration on the floor but no fresh oil / liquid present. I assume this could be the cause of the squeal. What type of oil should be used and to what level should it be filled. I hope I'm on the right track unless it's unrelated and just coincidence.

Anyone care to speculate?

Regards, Doug

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: 2004 Frigidaire Laundry Centre transmission leak
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:47:17 AM »
I'm not aware of any transmission you can add oil. Also the oil had to go somewhere, so it would be obvious if it had leaked out. Usually a squeal during spin would come from the belt, which acts as a clutch and slips until the tub gets up to speed.

Offline sharcman

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 11:04:40 AM »
Ya I know that sounds obvious but it has a drain and fill plug top an d bottom. Looks like the drain plug has been out for years. Alternately the squeal seams to be coming from the top of the shaft near the drive block (been reading as much as I ca about this). Wondering if it could be a seal as it enters the tub.
The transmission business may not be related but threw a curve at me. Don't like finding parts the floor.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »
Post you model number. Last fall I needed a transmission for one of these and it was not available. I don't know if that has changed.

Offline sharcman

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 12:56:07 AM »
Thanks for the interest but there is no model number. Again very strange. It is one of about 300 in a condo building. Maybe a bulk production run. All it says is Frigidaire Laundry Centre and the trani date is Sept 2004. I stuck the stripped "drain plug" back in with Permatex and my tenant called to say I must have scarred the crap out of it because it stopped squealing, thankfully. We'll see for how long. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers!