Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE spacemaker works, but loud vibrating noise  (Read 8383 times)

Offline yorkville

• VIP Member
GE spacemaker works, but loud vibrating noise
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:17:17 PM »

The microwave is a 10 year old GE spacemaker, model JVM1650WH01. It is part of the range/oven/microwave combo. so it is mounted underneath the cabinet, and hanging above the range/oven

Everything on the microwave works. However, from time to time, there is a loud vibrating noise coming from behind the control panel. This only happens when I am using the microwave to heat up stuff. The vent fan works fine without any vibrating noise.

When I put a little downward pressure on the microwave, the vibrating noise goes away. If I apply a little upward pressure by pushing on the bottom of the microwave, the vibrating noise gets stronger.

Any thoughts?

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: GE spacemaker works, but loud vibrating noise
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:40:58 AM »
check that the mounting bolts that run up through the cabinet are tight.

Offline yorkville

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »
Keithvibe

thanks. that seems to be problem. I tightened the mounting screws, and now the noise is gone.

However, I got myself a new problem. When cleaning the front vent grille, I broke off the plastic part that holds the screw in place so the metal bracket grille (part 109) can be attached to the plastic vent grille (part 70).  And the plastic vent grille is available for $90? Is it possible to get the part from a aftermarket supplier? What is the purpose of the metal bracket grill? Can I just leave if off?

[attachment auto deleted after 5 years by admin]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:05:04 AM by yorkville »

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:24:52 PM »
Do not leave the metal cover off. That cover protects you and any objects from entering the stirrer motor area.
If you are handy enough you might be able to fix the mounting location otherwise I would recommend you buy the grill assembly.
If you can post a photo of what you have maybe someone here can give you some tips on how to resolve the mount.

Offline yorkville

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »
Here is a picture of the broken mount for the screw. Maybe I can glue it back on?

[attachment auto deleted after 5 years by admin]

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 05:18:59 AM »
glue, two part epoxy could be an option.
When I have incidents like yours I use a 5min epoxy and hasn't failed me yet.
http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?brand=Devcon&family=5%20Minute%C2%AE%20Epoxy%20Gel

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:22 AM »
Here's what I use: http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8237-PlasticWeld-Plastic/dp/B003S2E4UE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405003177&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic+epoxy GE has a lot of fragile plastic parts and this stuff works. Make sure everything is clean, clean, clean (good alcohol helps). Mix up a wad of it and embed the grill in it instead of trying to glue the screw holder back on...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:44:28 AM by olyteddy »

Offline yorkville

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »
Great idea. I will use epoxy.

BTW, the grille is just covered with grease. What can I use to clean if off? Nothing seemed to really work so far.

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 10:40:30 PM »
At work I use an industrial de-greasing chemical rinsed off with 185 degree water. At home I'd try Fabuloso or 409, a scrub brush and hot water. Follow that up with Isopropyl or denatured Ethyl alcohol.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 11:10:20 PM »
Most of these plastic parts are either ABS or PVC.  The plastic type might be stamped on the part.  Use the proper plumbing solvent weld glue and you will have a much stronger repair than using epoxy. If it doesn't have a stamp, there's a transition glue that will work on both types.

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 12:01:51 AM »
The stuff I use is an epoxy putty. You just knead a small wad of it and stick it on the plastic. Then you can embed the metal grill. I use it for mounting the switches and buttons on those plastic control panels. It would work fine for your grill too.