Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Help with Speed Queen Washer LWS55AW  (Read 3456 times)

Offline profondorosso75

• VIP Member
Help with Speed Queen Washer LWS55AW
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:36:30 PM »

Hello, I have a problem with my washing machine. it is a speed queen model LWS55AW, top loader. over the years I have replaced several parts so I'm no stranger to it. Timer, water pump, motor, pulley. The drive belt has been breaking about every 2 years for a while. belt broke on it last week. replaced it but this time, the basket will not spin. I cant turn it manually either. it broke on the spin cycle so I'm assuming this is what burned the belt. it agitates fine and will go through the whole wash cycle. when it come to spin, the motor goes but the basket will not budge and the belt starts to melt. My first thought was transmission but I read somewhere that if it agitates it can't be. so any help on how to proceed from here to troubleshoot greatly appreciated. Also, she is pretty old and I'm not willing to put a lot into her so if any of the possible repairs would be too involved or expensive please say so and I will just get a new machine. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Help with Speed Queen Washer LWS55AW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:26:44 AM »
Check for something caught between the tubs.

Offline profondorosso75

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »
I'm not sure I understand, do you mean to remove the basket?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
Remove the tub ring and check along the top and sides for a sock or something.  If you have to, remove the basket. If nothing is stuck in there, you have bad tub seal and bearings.  Has the spin cycle been getting louder?

Offline profondorosso75

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »
yes it has been getting louder