Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung French Door Refrigerator Evaporator Icing up  (Read 35808 times)

Offline click50

• Technician
Samsung French Door Refrigerator Evaporator Icing up
« on: May 31, 2014, 12:49:49 AM »

I am a service tech and have run in to many Samsung French Door refrigerators with water under the crispers.   I remove the back panel and find the evaporator clear except for a hugh chunk of ice on the upper right side of the evaporator.  Also, the defrost drain will be frozen oven with ice.  I can clear it all out, open the drain and usually within 3-6 months it will happen again.  Seems like it is defrosting, but maybe not long enough to melt all of the ice.  I have looked everywhere for a solution for this but can find nothing.  I have found this on many models from 22-29 cu. ft.  I am not Samsung certified, so finding a service bulletin seems impossible.  Does anyone have a service bulletin about this or a cure?

Thanks for any help.

click50

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Samsung French Door Refrigerator Evaporator Icing up
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 01:20:52 PM »
Order a new evap cover. Clear drain and add larger heater clip securely. MOVE evap thermister from intake to outake. Go around back and clear all drain tubes and cut a small piece to alloe water to drain properly.

Offline kp10489

• Technician
  • Karl's appliance repair
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »
Hey Domain inquiring mind would like to know as I have done all you listed in your post other than move the thermister is that a Samsung fix that I did not receive or a fix you do
karl putz

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »
Samsung. The real issue here is when thr drain backs up and freezes, usually due to a stuck duckbill. After that happens, each time after defrost has terminated, the fan pulls that moisture back up on the incoming lineset and builds up on captube and eventually stopping fan

Offline kp10489

• Technician
  • Karl's appliance repair
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »
 :thanks:
karl putz

Offline click50

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:35:44 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 02:42:02 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome:

Offline wild

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 11:51:57 PM »
Hi Domain or Click50:

I am a home owner of an expensive Samsung French door fridge RF28HFEDTSR/AA and run into the same issue as stated above: got frosted then tried to defrost by letting the built-up ice melted down then got frosted back again after a few weeks;

Would you mind elaborate and guide me how to locate and move the (freezer?) thermistor from the inlet to the outlet with diagrams if possible as we really can't afford a new fridge now.

Thanks in advance
Wild
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:54:35 PM by wild »

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 01:01:41 PM »
Sounds like you have a defrost failure, not plugged drain

Offline garth48

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 07:24:44 PM »
It seems almost all Samsung refrigerators have been involved in a class action suit of one kind or another related to the icing problem and failure to defrost properly.  I've been dealing with this for almost 7 years.  I thought I'd fixed it when I purchased the longer defrost element from Amazon. Now it's doing something else... So I had it apart again. 

If you've not switched the temperature sensor location , you should.  That seemed to work for me.  Here's a picture I found on a Service bulletin for Samsung repair guys.  I can't recall how I found it, but it's useful.  (See attached image)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »
garth48, that's not a defrost element. It's just a clip.
What is the model number of your refrigerator?

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/samsung-clip-drain-evap-da61-06796a-ap5579885.html

Offline garth48

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 01:45:25 PM »
RB217APN

I know it's the drain clip.  I identified it incorrectly.  It replaced the original one which was too short and never properly cleared the ice in the drain. (again, that's part of the design flaw (and there are many) in these refrigerators).   I'm pretty sure it's working well now, and since I moved the temp sensor (as per the image) I've not had the issue with water pooling in the crispers or under them...at least not that I recall. 

My latest issue, which I thought was a fan blocked by ice, due to the sound, was actually something else that probably few people actually have trouble with.  My refrigerator came with an icemaker, but for reasons such as location, added electricity cost, and the fallibility of the things, I never used it.  A few weeks ago, the refrigerator made a sound like a blocked fan, then a sound like a solenoid closing, and then a "ding-dong."  I couldn't find anything online. 

So, in a totally unrelated move, I decided to remove the icemaker.  It only ever took up space, etc.  Once I put the covers back on and the freezer door, I plugged it in again, but I got a blank readout on my front door LED panel.  The only thing different was the removal of the ice maker pieces from inside the freezer compartment, and only one part of that, the motor that "dumps" the ice tray, had an electrical component, so I plugged that back in and the readout returned to normal.  I figured I had to leave it in, so I taped it up to the ceiling of the freezer compartment with cold weather metal tape.  About 3 hours later the noise started again and I thought, "Damnit!  The things freezing up again."  But I got lucky as I was in the freezer compartment the next time it made the noise and I realized it was the motor for the ice maker. 

There's a button on the panel to turn the icemaker on and off.  I turned it off, but the damn thing kept making the noise.  So I decided to remove it and see if the LED panel reacted negatively to its absence.  It did not.

Please tell anyone else (the few manual ice-makers present in this world, I imagine) that if they are having this problem, that's the reason.

Thanks!

Offline jliying17

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 12:51:39 PM »
Hi all,

I have a Samsung French Door Refrigerator and this is the 3rd time (within 5 months) that the ice build-up came back in the back panel of the fridge (see attached picture).

I have searched all the DIY videos on how to repair this issue but in vain. I have removed the back panel and let all the ice melt and after a month, I hear the noise from the fan hitting the ice in the back panel again. The second time, I moved the sensor (thermister I think) to the upper copper thread but the ice build-up came back again.

I am so frustrated with this situation considering that the fridge is only five years old and it was an expensive one.

Did anyone encounter that kind of issue with their Samsung fridge? If yes, please share your thoughts and solution.

Thank you in advance!